I'm going to be a FACS teacher. That means I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to be teaching. It totally depends on where I get a job and what class they need me to teach.
There's a very good chance I may have to teach kiddos to sew. This poses a problem as I have no idea how to sew. I have next to no experience. Thankfully I'm equipped with an exceptional ability to BS my way through things I don't know about. And I'm signed up for a "Fabrication Construction" class next semester.
But I didn't want to show up on the first day of class with absolutely no knowledge. I have to have a bit of info in my pocket to really be able to fake it. So I signed up for a Basics of Sewing Class at Harper's.
The two hour class promised to teach me the ins and outs of the sewing machine and how to sew a zipper. Big time stuff.
| The Machine. |
I sat there with a look of terror I'm sure as the lady talked endlessly with words I didn't know. Bobbin? WTF is a bobbin?! Why am I threading it?
This lady loves sewing. Duh. She owns a fabric/sewing store. But man, I haven't heard someone speak so enthusiastically on a subject... like ever. She totally got me excited to sew.
| I sewed two pieces of fabric together. Holla. |
| Oh yeah, I asked one of the other students to take my pic. And yes, she thought I was nuts. |
I'm hoping that I learned enough to be able to take my class next semester without the teacher and everyone else wondering what business I have teaching something so foreign to me.
This will be our little secret, okay? I can't go losing my street cred with the FACS gals.
2 comments:
Why do people find it nuts to take pictures of other people? Hello...do you not know what a blog is? Seriously.
By the way, zippers were on everything this season for Project Runway. I would say you just learned how to sew a very important fashion trend.
Great work! No worries...it's a lot more about controlling the chaos than actual sewing skills anyway. :)
Post a Comment