Drew turned the big 2-9 this week. Can you believe he's gonna be thirty next year? Whoa.
Of course he was out of town for work all week, so we had to wait until this weekend to celebrate. Drew requested Beef Stroganoff for his birthday feast. It's his fave.
Since we met, I've known that Beef Stroganoff was Drew's favorite dinner. The first summer we were dating and living apart, I made it for him on one of his visits to Wichita. I'd picked my aunt Jan's recipe which turned out fabulous. But I was put off by the fact that it requires the mixture to simmer for an hour and a half.
Since then I've tried like a thousand different stroganoff recipes, and none were even close to as good. I feel as though I've become a more mature cook in that time and can appreciate what an hour and half of simmering can do for a dish. Aunt Jan's stroganoff wins and I'll never try to make a different stroganoff again.
Because it was a special occasion, we actually sat at the table instead of eating on the couch! I busted out the "nice" china too. This happens like once a year.
 |
| Candle light dinner. Hope that candle doesn't fall over! |
 |
| Strog-a-rific. |
 |
| Broccolini with Toasted Almonds. |
 |
| The dogs sat under the table the whole time. |
 |
| Going for some broc. |
 |
| Drew's plate - heavy on the strog. |
 |
| nom nom nom. |
No, I didn't share in the strog-a-fest with Drew. Although I am happy to report that I was assured the cow who contributed to our stroganoff was a grass-fed, hormone-free, happy-in-general cow, I still didn't partake in the beef eating. I made a quick mushroom, black-eyed pea, and quinoa topped with feta for myself while Drew enjoyed his happy beef.
 |
| You know I love shrooms! |
After dinner we went to the movies. I think we were the last people on Earth to see The Social Network. We hadn't been to a movie in forever, and had lots of fun. I'd say it was a pretty good birthday celebration.
 |
| Two pooped puppies. |
Oh I'm sorry, are you looking for cake? You know I wouldn't have a birthday celebration (or any celebration for that matter) without baked goods.
Well, I say this in all seriousness, the cake deserves its own post. And my oven deserves some serious cleaning action if we are ever to use it again.
1 comment:
Good job friend! That strog looks delicious!
Glad to see you went with the broccolini as the side dish:)
Post a Comment