Monday, November 15, 2010

Pantry Curry

I'm trying an experiment.  I'm not going grocery shopping this week.  I love grocery shopping.  I do it too much.

Drew's been out of town lots lately, so I find myself running to the store on the weekends and buying lots of ingredients so he can have nice home-cooked meals while he's home.  I worry about him eating too much McDonald's... or whatever else they have in the tiny towns he's in.

That leaves me with a fridge full of food.  I don't need to grocery shop this week.  But I was stumped about Meatless Monday.  What would I make if I couldn't go to the store?!?

After some digging around, I realized I had all (most) of the ingredients to make In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea Burgers from Oh She Glows.  I can't find the actual recipe on there at the moment, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.

I'd made these before, and they are tasty!  For some reason though, they weren't binding together.  They came out all crumbly.  That didn't stop me though.  I still ate two.

Crumbly Veggie Burger.
 In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea Burgers

Ingredients:
  • 1/5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1.5 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp parsley flakes (I didn't have these so I didn't use them)
  • 3 tbsp sunflower seeds (didn't have these either)
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 egg, beaten (I added this for some extra binding action)
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
  • In a food processor process oats, carrots, and all of the spices/seasonings until smooth.
  • Add chickpeas and oil, stopping to scrape down the bowl.
  • Place the mixture in a medium bowl.  Stir in the pepitas.  
  • Wet your hands and shape patties or balls.  Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way through. 
I served mine up on an English Muffin - the last of the bread type items in the house.  And of course I burnt it.  Whatevs.  I still ate it.  You do what you gotta do.  Yo.

Burnt Muff.

Salad on the side.
If you like curry, and if you like veggie burgers, give these a try!  They freeze well (don't I always say that???) so they make a great quick dinner or lunch. 

Drew really super dislikes curry so even if he were here tonight, he probably wouldn't be making yummy noises and smiling for pictures.  I'm sure he's enjoying a Big Mac instead. 

Happy {meatless} Monday!

No comments: