Monday, November 8, 2010

Soup for your Supper

Hello Monday meatless eaters!!!

It seemed like a good idea to cap off such a beautiful fall weekend with every one's fall favorite: soup.

I've been hanging onto this black bean soup recipe for quite some time now, and I'm not exactly sure where it came from.  It is supposed to be a knockoff of TGIFridays black bean soup.  I've never actually had it there, but this soup tastes amazing!  If you like black bean soup, you must try this!  I really think its the best I've had. 


Pot O' Soup.

Chunky.  Soupy.  Yummy.
Black Bean Soup

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup diced white onion
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup diced carrot
  • 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
  • 4 cups chicken vegetable stock
  • 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
  • shredded cheese, chopped green onion, sour cream for garnish
Method
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan (I did it all in a big soup pot) over medium/low heat.  Add onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic to the oil and simmer slowly for 15 minutes or until the onions are translucent.  Don't let the veggies brown!
  • Drain and rinse beans.  Add 3 cups beans and 1 cup chicken vegetable stock to a food processor.  Process until smooth.
  • Pour the pureed beans, whole beans, remaining stock, and remaining ingredients (except garnish) to the pot.  Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes or until soup has thickened and ingredients are tender.
  • Garnish as desired.
We enjoyed the soup with cheese quesadillas.  They were perfect for some hearty soup dunking.

'Diller for Dunkin'

Drew gives his seal of approval.
This recipe makes a ton of soup!  If you don't have ten people in your fam to eat it all, or you don't want to eat soup for every meal for a week... this soup should freeze nicely.  Just fill single serve tupperware dishes and stick 'em in the freezer.  Defrost and heat up for a quick lunch or dinner! 

Happy {meatless} Monday!

2 comments:

Lauren Grier said...

I <3 black bean soup! Can't wait to try this recipe:)

Trophy Wife said...

Made this today. 1/2ed the recipe since you said it made so much but kind wished I'd made a full batch, it's delicious. I topped mine with green onions and guac. The guac was an awesome vegan topper although I bet cheese is even better.