The running hiatus is over. Over. I'm back. And better slower than ever.
I started back on the road in early October. My first few runs were all of a mile long. Each week I added another mile to my "long" run and this weekend I conquered six miles!!!
 |
| Ready to run! |
 |
| Ari hates gloves. |
Running is definitely not what it used to be. I think part of the appeal of running is that its so easy and requires so little thought and preparation. I used to roll out of bed, slam a cup of coffee while I put on my shoes, and hit the road. That could be the reason my knee started acting up. Oops! Lesson learned.
I've been incredibly cautious with running since starting again. I do a 20 minute warm-up which is often just as long as my run. I roll, stretch, and ice after every run. I've also been doing lots of cross-training (yoga and spinning) and keeping my running down to three days a week.
 |
| Stretch Stretch Stretch! |
Running now takes
a lot more time, thought, and effort. But it is so worth it. I cannot explain how hard that month and a half off was! I felt like a part of me was missing. I know that might sound a little nutty, but running has become such a significant part of my life. Its part of who I am, and without it I was a little bit beside myself. Plus, I freakin hate the elliptical.
 |
| Yoga + Dog = Doga |
I've come to terms with the fact that I probably am not going to be able to go back to five running days a week, high mileage, and tons of speed work. But I'm okay with that. As long as I can get my running fix a few days a week, I'll put in the work it takes to keep my knees (and all those other joints!) healthy.
 |
| Slow and steady. |
However, I'm hoping that if I ease back into running slowly, I'll be able to start training again in the not so distant future! I've got Big (D) plans for the Spring!!! I'm not one to give up too easily, especially on big life goals (Boston by 30!!). So I'm just going to keep on trucking and plan for the best!
3 comments:
Yay! I'm super excited for you.
1) YAY! Friend, welcome back! 2) Super cute outfit, where did get your running leggings? 3) Can't wait for the Big (D)!
Lauren, they are Under Armour. I got them a couple years ago at Dick's and they've held up really well!
Post a Comment