Sunday, March 27, 2011

Have a Great Day!

Jim & Chris made the trek to KC to spend some quality time with their favorite daughter (that's me) last week.  Quality time for me means one thing; eating. 

We shopped till we dropped on Friday morning and then went in search of some grub.  Jim's only stipulation on the restaurant was that it had to serve tuna sandwiches.  Good little Catholics.  I did some searching on the internet while we drove and found the Great Day Cafe.  They served tuna, so we went.

I am so glad we did!  This little cafe is right in the middle of Old Overland Park, right next to where the Farmers Market is held, and it is adorable!  Adorable.  It is super colorful and the walls are covered with art and each table has hand painted bud vases with flowers.


So stinkin' cute.
I was even more impressed with the menu!  It looks like their specialty is breakfast and coffee, but we were more interested in lunch.  Great Day has great veggie options, including a daily vegetarian soup!  Love. 

I went with the Roasted Eggplant Grilled Sandwichwith roasted red peppers, feta cheese, and sun dried tomato pesto on sourdough.
OMYum.
 It was delicious!  Plus the fresh fruit on the side made for the perfect little lunch.  I had to save room for dessert though.  We split a Snow Ball which was basically just a big ol' peanut butter rice crispy treat rolled in powdered sugar. 

Yummers.
I really should have taken a picture of Jim's tuna salad sandwich.  It was really really big.  So if you are Catholic and looking for a good Lenton Friday lunch spot, we've got one for ya.

I'm just so happy to have found this charming little locally owned lunch place!  My biggest complaint about eating in KC is that it feels like every restaurant is a chain.  I don't know of many good local restaurants.  What is your favorite non-chain restaurant in town? 

And who wants to join me for a breakfast date at Great Day Cafe? :)

2 comments:

Krista said...

I love the local hot spots too! Some of my faves (they are all downtown because that's where my office is) are Happy Gillis, Grinder's West, Farmhouse and Blue Bird Bistro.

Lauren Grier said...

Um, Grinder's West and Blue Bird Bistro rock! Jamie - I will have to try this cafe when I come back and visit!