Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vocab Lesson

I'm taking a class right now called Content Area Literacy.  It focuses on improving reading skills in students in all classes, not just English.  I've been really surprised at how much I enjoy the class and how much it has affected the way I read and study.

A big emphasis in the class is on vocabulary.  I've been trying to pay more attention to vocabulary that I don't know when I'm reading.  Rather than just skip over words I don't fully understand, I look them up.  Or at least right them down to look up later.  Dictionary.com is always up on my computer*.

So there I was, working on a class project, and toggling back and forth to my email (and Facebook... and your blogs... I have ADD) when I see that I got an email from Sarah.  Remember, I'm in vocab-mode.  Sarah used the phrase, "Here's the sitch..." and I was all, "I've never seen that word, sitch.  I'll look it up!" 

Type type type into dictionary.com... and alas... there is the definition.

Sitch: n. situation

Okay, major blonde moment.  That's like when I say whatevs or obvs.  Glad I had to look that up in the dictionary.  Better yet was the example sentence that was given to me;

Sitch: (Streets.) : You in one bad sitch, bitch!

Stop it.  Dictionary.com just cursed at me. 

This is obviously (obvs) my new favorite (fave) phrase and I've been saying it all day.  Mostly to Mya**.  She's the only one who I can legitimately call a b*tch.

Try it out.  It feels really good, especially if you elicit*** your ghetto-girl voice.

Mya, you in one bad sitch, bitch!

Happy Tuesday, all.  I hope you ain't in a bad sitch.

*There are lots of words I don't know.
**Miss Mya is in a bad sitch if you must know.  She had 4 (!!) tumors taken out of her mouth today to be biopsied for cancer.  Keep her in your prayers!
***www.dictionary.com 

1 comment:

Lauren Grier said...

Thank you for making me laugh today! Also, I think you should do a word of day or week or something because I need to work on my vocab!