Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Real Simple: Creamy Broccoli Soup

Yep, it's Tuesday.  Totally missed Meatless Monday again.  If you must know, I've been stricken with the black plague and haven't moved from the couch for almost a week.  But today is the day.  I'm taking my life back... even if my lungs aren't exactly functioning at 100%. 

So let's start with soup!  This recipe comes from Real Simple Magazine, so you know it is easy.  And its full of lots of veggies; vitamin city!  Plus, soup is just the thing for this crummy weather. 

Simmer Veggies.

I love recipes where I get to use my immersion blender.  It makes me feel so professional.

Blend veggies.
The recipe calls for sharp white cheddar.  I used Kraft shredded cheddar... because we're fancy like that.

Serve it up.
Creamy Broccoli Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 bunch broccoli, florets roughly chopped and stems peeled and sliced (about 7 cups)
  • 1 large russet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 ounces sharp white Cheddar (or Kraft!), grated (1⁄2 cup)
  • bagel chips, for serving

Method:
  • Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
  • Add the broth, broccoli, potato, 2 cups water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
  • In a blender, working in batches, puree the soup until smooth, adjusting the consistency with water as necessary. (Alternatively, use a handheld immersion blender in the saucepan.) Top with the Cheddar and bagel chips, if desired, before serving.
See, how easy was that?  I also gave my bowl of soup a few shakes of hot sauce, cause I was feeling c-razy. 

Happy {meatless} Tuesday!

2 comments:

Lauren Grier said...

I am sorry that your sick! Hopefully this soup will make you feel better:)

Anonymous said...

I would probably use my "Magic Bullet" to blend the soup, because I'm fancy like that!