Saturday, March 19, 2011

Big D: Week 15

Back on track this week!  I got all of my runs in... even despite the holiday. :)  Things are looking up!  And the race is seriously getting so close.

Monday:  5 miles on the treadmill.  I felt like I was going to die.  I think it was just an off day, but at one point I had to take my headphones out because I was so nauseous that I thought I might puke right there on the treadmill.  It didn't help that the girl next to me was running 9 mph.  That's fast.

Tuesday:  25 minutes on the bike and some crazy hard yoga show on FitTV.  I quit my yoga class at JCCC.  I know, I'm a quitter.  So I'm back to FitTV.  This one was hard.  I was drenched in sweat at the end.  Hard.

Wednesday:  5 miles with Miss Katy.  I love running with friends.  I'm sure Katy loves running with me while I act like a know-it-all and tell her the ins & outs of racing and training according to Jamie.  But she's too nice to tell me to stfu.

Thursday:  8 miles outside.  I started out quick, thinking it was my lucky day, but tired out pretty soon into this run.  I decided to just slow down and enjoy the beautiful day... and daydream about the green beers in my future. 

Friday:  Nada... unless you count the fact that I had to walk to the Blue Moose to get my car.  Embarrassing.

Saturday:  Half Marathon!!!  At least that's how far I ran.  There wasn't really a race or anything.  And truth be told:  I only intended to run 12, but overshot it by a long shot and even after running 13.1 miles I had to walk a mile and half home.  Fun fact:  I can't do math when I'm running.  When I'm sitting still I'm like a human calculator, but that all goes away when I start moving.

I wanted to do a non-stop run at a quick pace, so that meant I needed to wear my super cool fanny pack water bottle holder thing.

Hot.
I don't know why, but when I'm running in my neighborhood wearing this thing, I feel like a tool.  So I ran straight for the Indian Creek Trails where there were lots of runners.  Lots of them were also wearing weirdo water bottle contraptions so I knew I was amongst my people.  Hey, no one ever said running was fashionable.

I tried not to look at my Garmin, but just to keep at a comfortably hard pace.  Yes, that was a contradiction.  Basically, I tried to push myself, but not so much that I might bonk.  I really struggle with balancing challenging myself with pushing myself too hard.  It didn't help that I accidentally ran way too far on the trails.

Once I realized how far out I was, I decided that my 12-miler would be a half marathon instead.  Oh how I love the half marathon.  It is my favorite distance.

13.1 miles; 1:50:25

Pace: 8:25 minutes per mile.
Yea for being done with that! 

Sunday:  I'm scheduling a day of rest, so I don't plan on doing a dang thing. 

Total Miles:  31.1

I'm planning on squeezing one more super long run in sometime next week and then officially beginning to taper.  So close!!!  Yea!!!

Ask yourself: "Can I give more?". The answer is usually: "Yes". 
                                                                              -Paul Tergat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that I'm training for a half marathon? All this running talk gave me the itch. It's on May 1st so I've got a little bit. I'm training with a group from the YMCA. We started out with our "long run" being only 3 miles then add a mile each week. I got bored with that so ran 6 last weekend and 9 today. Anywho, I love to hear about your running and training!

Lauren Grier said...

You are so awesome! I am glad that you had a good week of running after being sick!

Love the fanny pack:)