Friday, April 1, 2011

Rubella Randomness

I gave up complaining for lent.  Apparently I complain a lot because when I told Drew, he was all "Thank goodness!"  But I sort of think that he just misinterprets my stories as complaints.  When I am telling him about all the drama and craziness of my day, I'm not complaining.  I'm just sharing.

Like, when I couldn't enroll in my summer online classes because the Health Center wanted my Measles Mumps & Rubella vaccination record and my online class filled up before I could get them the vaccination record from 1984 so now I have to take the on-campus class this summer and thank goodness they have that record now so they know I won't be giving anyone Rubella.  That's not complaining.  That's just me pointing out irony.  How can I give someone Rubella in an online class? 

Anyways, Jim seems to think I'm a bit of a complainer too.  I like to bring up the fact that as a child, our family took a "vacation" to Kansas City every summer and now I'm living in my favorite vacation spot.  It's like if Jana were to move to Disney World.  Or Nicky were to move to the Virgin Islands.  I'm not complaining that I never got to go to Disney World or the Virgin Islands as a kid.  I'm simply pointing out that it's funny. 

Or at least I think so. 

I may have offended Jim.

Last week when the folks came to visit, we were walking around the Plaza and Jim stopped in front of the big pig statue and asked if I wanted to have my picture taken.  I said no thanks.  I'm pretty sure we have thousands of pictures in front of that statue.  It was like a vacation staple.  We always took a picture in front of that pig. 

AND, back to the original story (and you thought I was just rambling).  I called Jim & Chris in a panic because how the hell am I supposed to know if I got a rubella vaccination????.  Chris promptly found the MMR record* from 1984 and Jim scanned and emailed it. 

As I'm opening the attachments in his email, I'm all in a huff because one of my classes has already filled and another one is on the brink.  I open the first attachment: Rubella, 1984.  I open the second attachment: Diphtheria, 1982.  I open the third attachment: Super Awesome Pig Picture, circa 1993.

McNiece Family Vacation.  Holla!

OMG.  That seriously made my day.  Seriously.  I can't even complain about those seriously big glasses or my fake Keds.  Best vacation ever**.

*Seriously, this is why I can't have kids.  My mom has vaccination records dating back to 1982.  I can't even remember to register Ari's microchip.  Imagine my kid's dismay when he calls me up, 30 years old, looking for a vaccination record and I'm all "Oh sorry sweetie, I threw those out!" 

**Please note that this photo was taken approximately 10 years after I received my Measles Mumps & Rubella vaccination.

3 comments:

Just Jana said...

Hilarious. This is why you should be paid to blog. I laughed so hard upon reading your 'footnotes.' Awesome.

Katy said...

I love this post. And I love your fake Keds... I had those in like every color.

Trophy Wife said...

I'm with Jana, the best part (besides the photo) was the footnote about the photo being taken 10 years after your MMR shot. Hilarious.