This isn't my usual book of choice. Three Cups of Tea is about a man named Greg Mortenson who has dedicated his life to building schools for the children of Pakistan.
I read this book for a class project because I thought it looked interesting. Umm... yeah. It was. I'm one of those people who tends to look the other way when things are sad or uncomfortable. So you can imagine when I hear about Pakistan or Afghanistan on the news, it doesn't really register.
This book completely changed that. Greg Mortenson's story really humanized the people of Pakistan for me. He turned them into living, breathing, and often suffering people instead of just a story on the news.
The things that this guy has done are absolutely incredible. He has dedicated his life to the betterment of children in a part of the world that most Americans would never even venture to. I think you hear a lot about people being dedicated to education (or is that just me because I'm in school?) but this guy is the real thing.
If you are looking for an inspiring story, please read this book! I think we often take education for granted, and to see how valuable it is to these people really gives you a better appreciation for what you have.
The book has been in the news lately because someone accused Greg of making up the story. I don't see how that would even be possible. And even if some of the story is exaggerated for marketing sake, he's still an amazing person doing amazing things.
Read this book. Do it now. You won't be sorry!

2 comments:
I read this book as well and fell in love! Then I saw the 60 minutes episode asking him if he was a fraud. I honestly don't know what to believe. I hate when things like this happen!
Because we are the same person when it comes to uncomfortable emotional stuff, I now feel like I need to read this!!
Post a Comment