Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Name That Fruit

If you said CrabApple, you win! It's okay, we didn't know what the heck it was either. Our fruit and veggie box from Fresh Connect showed up on Saturday with a bunch of these little fellas rolling around. I had to check the invoice to figure out what they were. Next question: What the heck do you do with a CrabApple???

If you said "make jelly" you win again! I checked All Recipes, my go-to anytime I need a little help and they gave me exactly 3 recipes. Usually there are like a thousand. So, my choices are jelly, pickled, or sauce. None of those sound appealing to me. So, I chopped them up and tossed them into my go-to Oatmeal Muffin recipe along with some raisins. The result...

... Yummy Muffin Tastiness!!!

The crabapples turned really soft and tangy in the oven. They went really nicely with the sweet raisins. Being the carb-a-holic that I am, I snarfed one down straight out of the oven... with butter of course. Look at all that fruity goodness:

Now that we all know there are alternatives to jelly, I thought I'd share my fabulous oatmeal muffin recipe. Its super yummy (did I say that already??) and very versatile. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (more or less depending on your taste)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (more if you love it like me!!!)
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped fruit/nuts
Cinnamon & Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425. Grease muffin pan with Pam.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and flax. Add the milk, egg, and oil. Mix until well blended. Fold in the fruit & nuts. Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way full. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon & sugar.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown and muffins spring back to the touch.
4. Eat and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for... I don't know, like a week maybe. They never last that long around here.

2 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

I just looked at the list the other day and saw that this week included crab apples and I said, "what the hell do you do with a crab apple? People actually eat them?" :) We are on alternating weeks, it looks like (unless you are getting a delivery every week) so I was happy to see that I would not have to worry about it! Way to be resourceful and I might have to check out that muffin recipe.

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother actually used to pickle crabapples. they weren't bad. I think your muffin recipe sounds better though. MOM