Sunday, August 30, 2009

Marathon Training: Week 11 Recap

Week 11 was another kick-butt week of running. I love feeling like I'm making progress and actually improving my running! That said, I am exhausted. I'm definitely ready for week 12, which is another step-back week. Before we get to that though, let's take a look at how week 11 went. Hal's scheduled runs are in PINK and Jamie's actual runs are in PURPLE. Do you think Hal is mad he's in pink? Maybe he'd like a manlier color... maybe next week.

MONDAY: Rest Day / 5 Miles. I like getting ahead of schedule. I find that later in the week I'm more likely to find excuses not to run.

TUESDAY: 5 Miles / 8 Miles. Brooke and I ran a different route this morning and I got to see parts of OP I've never seen before. It felt like the longest run ever. I wasn't tired, I just think I was bored.

WEDNESDAY: 8 Miles / Cross Train. I was so excited to go to the gym and get on the bike so I could finish my book! After an hour I still hadn't quite finshed, but I'd felt I'd had enough so I went home to read the rest. The Undomestic Goddess is hilarious. Thanks for letting me borrow it Jana!

THURSDAY: 5 Miles / 5 Miles. I ran a really hilly course around my neighborhood and felt really good! I can definitely tell I'm improving. I guess all that hill work is working!

FRIDAY: Rest Day / 2 Miles. We have a house-guest named Bacon. He's kind of like Ari... on speed. I'm serious. I didn't know such a dog existed. Trying to take the edge off and give Ari a little break, I took Bacon out for a two mile run. He's not a runner, but 2 miles didn't even phase him. He was all over Ari when we got home. Ari has finally met his match.

SATURDAY: 18 Miles / 18 Miles. This weather kicks ass. I swear it makes me a better runner. The last mile was tough, but not as bad as it could have been. No Swim Suit Man, nothing really exciting to report. Just 18 miles in under 3 hours. Woot woot!

SUNDAY: Cross Train / 5K. Today was my first 5K!!! Details to follow.

Total Mileage: 36 / 41

I didn't realize until I was typing this that I didn't actually get a rest day this week. Trust me I will be making up for that next week! Expect to see some 3 milers in place of 5. I'm seriously exhausted!!!

****Marathon Training Tip of the Week: Get strong, but not too strong. Hal suggests that at this point in the training program it is time to cut out "heavy lifting." I'm all about strength training and believe that adding to your overall fitness makes you a better runner. That said, I never do any heavy lifting. I try to do 2 -3 days of "light" lifting; upper body and lots of random lunges and squats. I think core work is the best thing you can do if you are a runner. It does all sorts of things like making running easier and preventing injuries. Good stuff. I really like to do random ab videos On Demand and anything Jillian Michaels. I think Hal's point is that when your mileage creeps up this high, your risk of getting injured shoots up too. So if you are lifting heavy, cut it out. :)

2 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Woah. 18 miles in under 3 hours. You are fast. Aren't you supposed to run long runs slow? I'm confused by your speed. :)

Is it creepy that I'm already planning on stalking you at the race in October? I have another friend running it too so I figured I should spectate. I'll be looking for you. And a guy in a swimsuit, cause you never know, maybe he's training for KC too! :)

Jamie said...

I have no speed besides 9:30 minute miles. I can't run faster or slower than that no matter how far the distance.