Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Good Morning Crepe

This week's cooking adventure comes from The Pancake Handbook, Specialties from Bette's Oceanview Diner. Cheryl brought this back for me after they visited California. She knows all about my cookbook love (and carb love!).

I woke up super early (5 AM!!!) on Tuesday to go running with Brooke, but realized quickly that we'd have to put that off because it was thundering like crazy. So, what do you do when you're up that early? Well, why not make breakfast? I pulled out The Pancake Handbook and flipped through to find something yummy. I've never tried crepes and the ingredients were similar to pancakes so of course I always have those on hand!

Crepes are just like skinny pancakes. I think there is a bit more butter, and you blend it all up then chill the batter for an hour. Making them was fun because you get to swirl the batter in the pan to make the crepe really thin.

The book has lots of variations on crepes and I had all the stuff to make "Coconut Fancakes" so I gave it a try. Toasted coconut, lime (organic!), and powdered sugar (and cinnamon):

I squeezed the juice on one side of the crepe, sprinkled on coconut, folded it up and topped with cinnamon powdered sugar. Doesn't cinnamon make everything better?

Ari says, "yum!" He's especially fond of the organic blackberries. If you're wondering, that is a mitten on the floor behind him. Not really sure where that came from...

And here's Mya and Ari fighting over the mitten. They won't play with toys or balls, but get very territorial over a mitten. Ari fights dirty.

Oops... got off track... back to crepes. One downside; you can only make one at a time and the recipe makes about 20. Also, I live alone this week... which means I'm eating crepes all week. I highly recommend making crepes for a crowd, not for your lonely self.

1 comment:

Just Jana said...

Yum! I've never made crepes before! You're so advanced in your cooking skills! :)