I've never done a book review here before... because I don't read books. But, I've been on a reading kick lately. I even signed up for a library card!!! This is huge for me. Usually all I read is Runner's World, Shape, and Glamour. I guess getting through the Twilight series sparked something in me. I'd seen previews for the movie My Sister's Keeper but really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. So I went to the library, but there was a 60 day wait for the book! I guess Cameron Diaz will do that to you. So Katy was kind enough to lend me her copy... but not kind enough to warn me about it!
Okay, I am not a reader. After finishing all 4 Twilight books I had officially read more "for fun" than I had since... I don't know... ever. Part of this is because I'm a really slow reader. It usually takes forever for me to get through a book. And honestly, sometimes I just flat out lose interest half way through. This book was 423 pages long and I started it on Sunday, at the pool. Don't read this book at the pool by the way. Anyways, I finished it last night. That's 5 days! That would be a record for me if it weren't for Twilight.
The book is written in a way that just makes you want more. Its about a family dealing with cancer, and you think you have it all figured out. I thought I knew what would happen and I was preparing myself for it and then WHAM! They drop this bomb at the end that just shocked me. I did not see it coming and was not prepared for it. I'm a crier... at movies, TV shows, commercials, and now apparently at books too. I spent about an hour sobbing after I finished the book last night. I was finally able to get control of myself to call Katy and tell her she's a bad friend for letting me read this book.
Anyways, point of the story is... I will not be going to the theater to see this movie. I will wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it from the privacy of my own home, curled up in a blanket with my dog to hug and a big box of tissues.
I highly recommend reading this book. Seriously, its about the saddest thing I've ever read, but its one of those that really does make you look at your life and your family and realize how blessed you truly are. Just please don't read this book at the pool, or at the gym, or anywhere in public. You will cry, even if you aren't a crier like me!
1 comment:
I cried my eyes out too, but it's still one of my favorite books. I've heard the movie ends differently than the book, but I think I'll wait and watch it at home too!
Post a Comment