Thursday, July 2, 2009

Musings on Ass Holes

That's right... I said Ass Holes. Stay with me here...




Okay, so I had a few minutes to kill before Wednesday Night Dinner (G-Phi You know!) last night. I decided to stop in at WalMart to pick up a new pot for my basil since Ari thought it was hilarious to knock it off the deck last night. I pulled into the parking lot behind a guy in an SUV with a license plate that read SWMBKRN. His car was covered with stickers screaming that he is in fact a triathlete. Stickers were similar to the one below:






He stops behind a mini van that is stopped by the front door to the store. We wait a moment and then he pulls around the van and down a row to park. This added maybe 45 seconds to my WalMart trip.

As I'm walking into the store, I walk by the mini van still parked by the front door. The triathlete (maybe 40 years old, definitely looks like he works out) is a few steps behind me and as he passes the van he shouts, "Its a no parking zone ass hole!"

Whoa. Really? You're yelling at a little old man who for all we know is waiting on his little old wife in a wheelchair. Really? Who's the real ass hole here?

I think I was most taken aback b/c typically when I see someone with swim bike run, 26.2, 13.1, runner girl or any of those types of bumperstickers on their car I assume that they are super laid back, friendly-type people. I think of the running community as a whole as a big group of nice folks. To steal a quote from one of my favorite movies... "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands." And they don't shout obsenities at perfect strangers.

I'm guessing this guy is in his off-season and hasn't been getting his endorphin fix lately. Maybe he needs to hit the pool for a healthy dose of feel-good exercise. The whole thing just made me sad though. I'm not claiming to be perfect. I do my fair share of road-rage shouting, but at least its in the privacy of my own car and not actually to someone's face. I hope to look back on this incident in the future and cut down on my own ass-hole behavior.

That's all... just a random thought for the day!

By the way... I bought a new pot. Its red and super cute. I got home and re-potted my poor basil, and already Ari knocked it over and dumped it out. Again, who is the real ass hole here?

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

rumor has it that ms. elle woods was a gphi in real life, not a delta nu......