Friday, July 31, 2009

Is The Curse Broken?

No. No it is not broken. I am still cursed with a black thumb. But it seems to be getting weaker. Here's my tiny square foot garden:

Lots of leaves, not many veggies. I have zucchini plants coming out of my ears. I actually had to pull some of them out because too many of the seeds sprouted. However, there still aren't any actual zucchini growing. And some of the leaves are covered in white spots:

I'm a Google gardener. So I Googled and found out that these spots are powdery mildew. Gross. I'm trying to keep the garden organic, even though it doesn't appear we'll actually be eating anything from it. So I don't want to spray a bunch of chemicals on the leaves. Mildew or chemicals... which would you rather eat? Gross... again. The most natural remedy I found is to spray the leaves with a mixture of diluted milk. Huh... why does the same thing I eat on my cereal kill fungus? I guess we'll see if it works.


A couple of my zucchini plants are actually flowering... but still no vegetable. The flowers are supposed to turn into a zucchini... but they just fall off instead. I have no remedy for this. I haven't even touched them with my big black thumb. They just would rather fall to the ground and die than supply me with food... and self esteem.

On to my one saving grace... that's a cucumber!!! Its just a baby, about the size of my (black) thumb... but its a cuke no less! If this tiny cucumber could just survive a few more weeks and all I get from this whole stupid garden is a few slices to dip in some ranch dressing, I will call this garden experiment a success.


Oh, and don't forget about the basil. I've actually been able to harvest some of the basil and eat it. I didn't die... its still alive... I'm practically an expert basil grower. You'll notice its in a different pot than when I planted it. My jack of a dog thought it was funny to push it off the deck so we had to replant. And it survived! The thumb is getting greener!

Confession time... I cheated and bought some red pepper plants from Home Depot because my seeds weren't growing. I guess the thumb is really black when it comes to peppers because those plants just sat there for like 2 months. They didn't grow, they didn't die. They just sat there. I finally pulled them out to make more room for the zucchini domination and they are still just sitting next to the garden... not dead, but not really alive. Pepper zombies.

No comments: