Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Greenie Beanie

Disclaimer: This is a serious cop out on the cookbook challenge. Part of my veggie bin from Fresh Connect was a bag of fresh green beans... which I had no idea how to prepare! The only green beans I've ever made were dumped out of a can and stuck in the microwave. Delicious.

I was flipping through Rachael Ray's Open House (birthday gift from Kylie!!!) which is filled with recipes for large crowds. I stumbled upon a recipe for green beans! Woot Woot!


I got super excited to make this recipe, and like I usually do... I didn't really read through past the ingredient list. So, when I started preparing the beans I realized that this is the easiest dang thing in the world to make... almost as easy as making green beans from the can. I probably didn't need Rachael to tell me how to do this.

I made a few changes... one being this recipe called for 3 pounds of green beans and I only had a pound or so. So I cut everything down to a third. Basically you just steam the beans then toss them with some oil, butter, and onions. Easy! Rachael suggested topping them with sliced almonds. We didn't have any almonds so I tossed in some toasted walnuts. Yummy!

I served up the beans with Curried Chicken and Rice, which I found at Good Things Catered. Drew was a little wary of the chicken because of its yellow color. He thought it was made with mustard, which is on the top of his Will Not Eat list. After giving it a chance and realizing that color doesn't mean everything he decided we can add it to the Make Again list. The beans also recieved the Drew seal of approval. Dinner was a success!

Alright, next week I'll make a recipe that actually takes some sort of culinary skill... and I'll probably eat it with a heated up can of green beans. I need to find a reason to make cookies!!!

2 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

A rachel ray cookbook that I don't own? I'm very upset by this! :) And I too, was unsure how to prepare my green beans but we will be having them tonight so I'll probably just steal your "recipe". :)

Anonymous said...

Don't sell yourself short of cooking the fresh green beans. It is easy for them to come out tough or rubbery. I think adding the walnuts sounds great too.