Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Biscuit Love

I love to cook. And I love to try new recipes. And I LOVE cookbooks. I have an entire cabinet devoted to my cookbooks, most of which I've read thoroughly, but never committed to actually making a recipe. Most of the recipes I make are in the black binder on the top right; a collection from Food Network, Kraft Kitchens, and various food blogs. There's so much on the internet that I don't even really need my cookbooks I guess.

But I LOVE my cookbooks!!! I buy them compulsively and get so excited whenever someone gives me one as a gift! So I decided it would be fun to commit to actually trying a few of the recipes in there. I decided that for the next 26 weeks (I counted 26 cookbooks in there!) I'm going to make one recipe from a different cookbook each week. Sounds fun, right?!

I decided to start off this new challenge with some Biscuit Love. What better way to start a challenge than with carbs? Hey! I'm marathon training... I've definitely got carb love.

The Flying Biscuit is a breakfast restaurant in Atlanta. Drew and I went for our 1 year anniversary last year and I insisted that we go there... b/c I love breakfast, and it has a funny name. The wait was an hour and a half... and worth every second of it. The biscuits were so good I had to buy a cookbook so I could make my own. A year later...

I chose to make Sweet Potato Biscuits, mainly because I had a sweet potato on hand that would otherwise be tossed. Plus I had all of the ingredients! That never happens! I know it is definitely my kind of cookbook when the recipe instructs you to, "Add the sweet potatoes. Use your hands, dig in, and don't hold back." Whoa. That's intense. Now you know why they call it biscuit love!

Like I do so many times, I read half way through the recipe and started without looking over the whole thing. This has gotten me in trouble a few times. After all the mixing was done, the recipe said to pat out dough to a one inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter. Wow. I don't own a biscuit cutter and actually didn't even know that there was such a thing. So I improvised, and here you have flower shaped biscuits. You may recognize the shape from previously posted Cake Pops!

I added my own little touch by brushing a mixture of melted butter and brown sugar on top before baking them. They turned out fabulously!

You can totally see the splotches of sweet potato... but you couldn't really taste them. Or maybe I couldn't taste them. I asked Drew how he liked them and he replied, "I really like regular biscuits." That's code for "I don't like this even enough to pretend." Gotta love him for his honesty. Now I have 2 dozen sweet potato biscuits to myself... anyone want to share in the biscuit love?

On a side note, I made chili to go with the biscuits. I know its July, but I had a serious craving. And I wanted to try out my new Chili 9000 from Penzey's, the cutest little spice shop ever. I signed up for their catalog and every issue comes with a coupon for a free spice! This was absolutely the best chili I've ever made! If you like to make chili, I definitely suggest you go to Penzey's and pick up some Chili 9000! Yum!

So, that's week one of Jamie's Cookbook Completion Challenge. Check back next week for more love and excitement from my kitchen!

1 comment:

PerfectMomentProject said...

Are you kidding? Is there a Flying Biscuit cookbook? Can I make those delicious biscuits at home?
Oh yeah. We spent a wonderful morning at The Flying Biscuit recently.
Take a look at the photos. Flying off the plate biscuits. Definitely my last meal in Atlanta:
Sometimes you just gotta have a biscuit