Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Big Hot D

Marathon #4 is in the books.  And let me just say; it was a memorable one.  And a hot one. 

We started the morning at the Burley house.  The race didn't start until 8:00, which is pretty late for a marathon, especially in Texas.  We stepped outside to leave at 7:00 and the weather was really nice.  I wish they'd started an hour early to save us from a bit of heat.

The Racers.

Tough Guys.

The race started at the Texas fairgrounds.  By the time we arrived the sun had started to shine and it was definitely warming up.  The race was bigger than I'd imagined it would be.  The start was kind of a cluster without much organization, but I guess that's to be expected in a smaller race.
2J.

Ready to start!

A super huge thanks to MEG for being an amazing cheerleader, hauling our stuff all over the race course, and taking photos all day.  Love you Meggy!
Our back sides.

Like I said... kind of a cluster.
Jaime, Brian, and Bret were running the half marathon, Katy ran the 5K, and Lauren and I ran the full. 
I don't know if this is anyone we know or not.  But some people are running.


Go Jaime!

Big D Finisher!!!

Bret coming in for the finish!

And Bret's backside. :)


Here comes Jaime!

Cutest half marathoning couple ever.

Meg took this pic to demonstrate the wind.  Out of Control!

More of the running Burleys.
Okay, back to me!  As you know, I went into this race hoping for a sub-4 hour marathon time.  My strategy was to start out conservatively by running the first half between 9 and 9:30 minute miles.  I planned to keep it right around 9 minute miles between 13 and 20 and then kick it up and run hard the last 6.  Big dreams folks.

Miles 1 - 13 were awesome.  I had my Ipod cranked and was just spacing out and enjoying the run.  We ran around White Rock Lake which was not only beautiful, but there was a cool breeze coming off the water that kept the heat off my mind.  There were several times I felt the urge to push the pace, but I forced myself to keep it above 9 minute miles. 

When I crossed the half point my Garmin read 2:04.  I was feeling good and only had to knock 4 minutes off my time during the second half to beat 4 hours.  I really thought I had this. 

Then the heat started to kick in.  We were running through neighborhoods with minimal shade and the sun was out in full force.  I tried to keep my pace steady at 9-minute miles, but struggled with either going too fast or too slow.  I swear I was either running 8-minute miles or 10-minute miles.  Note to self: work on pacing. 

The water stops were few and far between and at each one I'd grab two cups of water.  I'd drink one and dump the other over my head to cool off.  It really worked, because after each stop I'd feel re-energized and ready to go.  Unfortunately there weren't enough stops.

Around mile 16 we were back at the lake and I ran past Lauren's amazing running crew.  You have no idea how great it feels to have a whole crowd cheering your name as you run past.  Thanks Wurth family!!!

Still feeling pretty good!

You know I'm just smiling for the camera. :)
After that I turned off to go over a bridge and was hit by a WALL OF WIND.  Friends, I cannot explain the wind that was coming off the other side of the lake.  It was the most insane thing I have ever run against.  I finally stopped running because I realized I could walk faster than I could run.  This gave my legs a nice break, but took so much energy out of me.

It was hard to recover from that stretch.  I was trying to drink as much as possible at the water stops and also take GU, but my stomach started fighting me.  I don't know if it was the heat or what, but I was just really nauseous.  I started walking way too much and felt my goal slipping away.  Oh, and Rizzo (my Ipod) decided to die at mile 20.  Boo.

Around mile 22 I went through a stop that had ice water.  Praise the Lord!!!  I drank the water and then held the ice to my neck and just let it run down my back.  I was in a really bad place.  I was really feeling the loss of a running partner (miss you Brooke!).  I was all alone at a place where I could have really used the motivation of another runner. 

God must have been listening because all of a sudden, a gal in pink pulled up next to me and I immediately made the decision that she is now my running partner.  We started chatting and I forced myself to run with her.  She told me all about how she runs ultra-marathons (anything over 26.2 miles) and this is actually a taper run for her because she's running a 50-miler next weekend.  I could not have asked for a more inspiring person to drag me along.
Me and my new ultra-besty.
I saw the whole gang at mile 23 and it was such a mental boost!  It also happened to be a long stretch without water.  Mr. Burley handed me a water and I took off again to keep up with my ultra-friend.
There I go.
I held on to ultra-pink-lady for another mile.  She was seriously amazing.  She tried to talk me into coming back to Dallas next year for a 50K and told me that I could totally do it because we run the same pace.  I told her that actually, it was taking everything in me to keep up with her.  She offered to slow her pace so we could stay together!  Who does that?!  Seriously, some people just amaze me with their kindness.

We hit another water station around mile 24 and I told her to go ahead of me because I needed to walk.  She told me that she was going to slow her pace and encouraged me to try to catch up with her.  I never did and I never saw her at the finish line to thank her.  I cannot tell you how much that woman did for me.  She seriously held me up and kept me running when I'd all but decided to walk the rest of the race. 

I walked a lot during mile 24, but so did everyone.  I've never seen anything like this race.  Everyone was walking!  I tried to push, but the heat and my stomach were both fighting me.  Not to mention my legs were pretty tired at this point.  I just kept telling myself to keep moving forward.

When I hit the last water station around mile 25 I could tell I was overheating and it made me really nervous.  I asked for a cup of ice and the volunteers got one for me right away.  I walked for a stretch as I held the ice to my neck, but I really wanted to run.  So I took the full cup of ice and... dumped it into my sports bra.  Best decision ever.  I swear it helped so much. 

I made the decision to run the rest of the way.  I pushed past the pain and just kept going.  I could see the fairgrounds and the familiar surroundings were comforting.  As I turned into the fairgrounds I just gutted it out and gave it everything I had.  I don't know if you could call this sprinting, because it wasn't exactly fast.  But it was all I had. 

Yeah, this picture was taken today at my house... not at the race. :)
Fun Fact:  All marathons are actually longer than 26.2 miles.  The course is measured by the shortest route possible, so unless you cut the corners and run it exactly, you'll end up running further than 26.2.  I thought 26.64 was a bit excessive though.  Whatevs.

The official stats:

Chip Time: 4:14:41
Pace:  9:43 minutes per mile
Overall Place:  109 out of 705 runners
Age Group:  5th Place!!!

The gang was still on the course so I headed inside to the air conditioning.  I chugged some water and washed my face before grabbing a banana (or two!) and a bagel and parking it outside in the shade to watch the other runners come in. 
Finisher!!!
The crew showed up with just enough time to watch Lauren come in to finish her FIRST MARATHON!!!  Please read her recap here.  Lauren is the most outstanding, amazing, wonderful person in the world.  So it was no surprise that her finish was outstanding, amazing, and maybe the funniest thing I've ever recorded on my camera.
It is my opinion that, because this is a race, you should probably race it.  That means giving it all, especially at the finish line.  I always sprint at the finish, because why finish with anything left in your tank?  So, I wasn't surprised when Lauren came sprinting down the finish.  Apparently, this chic was surprised. 


Book it, Lauren!
As Lauren started to pass, this gal went into full on competitor mode.  She was pissed.  Lauren was just, well, being Lauren, having a good ol' time running her guts out.  This gal was in another place completely.  I guess she called Lauren a b*tch after they crossed the finish.  As much as this story makes me laugh, it also makes me sad that someone would be such a poor sport.  Its a race.  That's what you do.  You race. 

Of course, Lauren didn't take anything to heart and supplied me with what may be my favorite picture.  Ever.
I freakin' love you Lauren.

Marathon 1: Done.  I'm so so so proud of her!  This race was the most difficult thing I've ever experienced.  For someone to do as their first is just incredible.  I have a feeling that every marathon Lauren runs here on out will feel like a cake walk. 

Yea Lauren!!!

Finishers!!!

The whole gang.
I've been battling feelings of disappointment for the last couple of days for not reaching my goal, but I guess that will just fuel me for the next race.  Despite the heat, the wind, the hills, the lack of water... this was an amazing race and I had such an amazing time doing it with my friends.  I feel so blessed to have such wonderful and supportive people in my life (and a knee that works!).  I love you guys!!!

10 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

That picture is EPIC! When I read her recap I was annoyed that a runner would be so rude and now that I see that she's a frickin' marathon maniac, I'm more pissed. They should revoke her maniac status. You know who's a bitch? That bitch! :) You guys are both amazing. I can't imagine the heat and wind and EW! You make me wanna run one...

Lauren Grier said...

Great post friend! I am so proud of you for finishing and for placing 5th!! Booyah!! I seriously can't wait to do another one because I agree we were robbed with the weather. Stupid heat! And I didn't realize that crazy lady had a really pissed off look on her face when I came up next to her. Ah, the drama! Glad this race is done:)

The Love Blogger said...

What an inspiring post! Running a marathon is on my "30 before 30" list, and you both are definitley inspiring me!! Congratulations - one of the most difficult physical and mental accomplishments!! So proud of you both!

Callie said...

Congrats! I don't know how you guys do it. Plus, 5th is incredible!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your running posts! I'm trying to rock the whole runner mentality thing to get myself all hyped for my 1/2 in a few weeks. I'm nursing a sore achilles (sp?) though, so hopefully it all works out!

Some kind of Jennifer said...

Fantastic! Fifth place -- you are my hero!

Brooke said...

I think you did awesome considering most of your training was done below 40 degrees! I wish I could have been there with you...miss our long runs together!

The McGuire's said...

WOOT WOOT!!!! Super proud of you! (and also now a little scared of fulls)

Krista said...

Congrats Jamie! You should be so proud of yourself! 5th is an AMAZING accomplishment. I could never run that far, so I find joy in reading about your experiences:)

Jody said...

Congrats on your marathon! I loved reading your race recap and I'm so impressed! It looks like you had lots of fun in Dallas, good G-Phi memories!