Monday, September 27, 2010

Seasonal Mash-up.

Oh hello!  Today is Monday, and Surprise!  I'm actually going to show you what I had for dinner.  The Mister was not around for dinner so I didn't feel like putting tons of effort into the meal.  I have lots of recipes in line for Meatless Mondays, but decided to go with one that Katy recommended because it sounded easy... and delicious. 

The recipe was called Penne with Broccoli and Pesto.  But, because I didn't have any penne around, and I did have some spaghetti and spaghetti squash leftover from this weekend, it turned out to be Spaghetti (squash) with Broccoli and Pesto.  This just made things easier for me because I didn't have to go through the trouble of boiling pasta.  We all know how grueling a task that can be!

The end results were totally wonderful.  I used my new go-to pesto recipe to use up some of the basil that's rocking out on the deck.  Basil is so summery and the spaghetti squash totally makes me think of fall.  So this was my ode to summer meets fall.  Topped with roasted tomato.


Whoa.  Broccoli close-up.

Me gusta.


The recipe:

Penne with Broc & Pesto

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup pesto (store-bought works too!)
3/4 lb. penne (or whatever you've got!)
1 large head broccoli, tough ends discarded (compost that shiz!), the rest cut into 2-inch spears.
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 Tbsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

1.  Pour olive oil into a large bowl.  Add the pesto and whisk until uniformly blended.

2.  Put a large pot of water to boil over high heat.  When the water is boiling, add the penne, keeping the heat high.  Cook for close to the amount of time recommended on the package.  Taste the pasta, and when it looks like the penne have about a minute or so to go, add the broccoli directly to the boiling water (the broc will cook in seconds).  When the pasta and broccoli are just tender enough to bite into comfortably  but not yet mushy, ladle out and save about 1 cup of pasta water.  Then dump the remaining penne/broccoli into a colander to drain.  Transfer to the pesto mixture.

3.  Mix well, so all of the pasta and broccoli is evenly coated.  Toss in the Parmesan as you mix.  Stir in the salt and about 6 grinds of black pepper.  If the pasta looks dry, stir in some of the reserved pasta water.

4.  Top with roasted tomatoes and red wine.  Hooray!

2 comments:

Katy said...

Oooh, why didn't I think of roasted tomatoes?

Trophy Wife said...

I suck at Pesto so perhaps I'll try out your recipe. I know, it's pesto, it's easy but I failed miserably last time.

And that wine makes me supa jealous!