Mya joined me at Girls on the Run today. The coaches were supposed to each bring something that symbolized "gratitude" to them. Coach Brittany and I had the genius idea to bring our dogs.
Here's a little tip: if you ever want to excite a group of third grade girls beyond the power of your control, bring them a dog... or two. There was so much chaos that we didn't get to talk a ton about our topic of gratitude, but Mya got the workout of her life.
 |
| MOTR with the GOTR |
 |
| "Are you kidding me? I have to keep going? Mya sleep now." |
 |
| Keep on trucking. |
 |
| "How much longer?!?" |
 |
| Awwwww! |
 |
| "I better get lots of cookies for this!" |
The girls were literally fighting over who got to run with Mya next. One of the girls tells me every week how she wants some designer puppy... something mixed with a poodle... blech. After hanging with Mya all day she said she wants to rescue an older dog. Ulterior motive = accomplished. :)
The organization provides us with snacks to provide the girls at each practice. But the other coach and I were talking about how counter-productive it is to talk to them about healthy living and then feed them all this processed junk full of high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated fats. So we scratched those snacks and now take turns bringing fresh fruit. In honor of Mya's favorite snack, I brought bananas today. I'm not kidding you... one of the girls had to ask how to open it. She'd never just eaten a banana before. You see the valuable skills we're teaching? Luckily another girl was able to demonstrate by pretending she was a monkey. These girls absolutely kill me.
At the end of practice as we stretched, we had each of the girls go around and say one thing they are grateful for in their lives. My favorite girl on the run (what? I can have faves) said that she is grateful for... McDonald's. OMG.
I, of course, said I was grateful for the beautiful, wonderful Miss Mya.
2 comments:
OMG, I cannot believe one of the kiddos did not know how to open a banana, so sad! Great idea to bring fresh fruit for a snack. It makes me sad kids growing up don't eat fruit or veggies, just junk. You are teaching these girls such great things!
Oh no...Grateful for McDonalds? Yikes. I'm very proud that you are bringing fresh fruit instead of processed snacks but then again, you knew I would be. :)
Can't wait 'til I can drink again and we can have a Glee watching marathon. :)
DeAnna
Post a Comment