I have an angry knee, folks. It is not pretty. I have been resting the ugly knee all week. I haven't run since the knee got all pissed off last Saturday.
I've done all the super lame things that I never have time to do because I'm too busy running. I went to the gym. The check-in guy asked why I was there. I didn't really know how to take that. Whatevs. I did the elliptical. I hate the elliptical. The whole time I'm thinking, "Bah! I hate this thing! I'm not going anywhere!"
I did the bike, twice. I hate the bike.
I even did the yoga I planned to do weekly during marathon training that I've been putting off all summer long.
I dragged Ari on like a thousand walks and every time we're out he looks at me with those eyes... saying, "Hey lady, why are we going so slow?"
But I made it through what happened to be the best weather week in months without running. And I figured if I could just get through an entire week of resting the angry knee, he'd let me run again. Negative.
I woke up at 4:30 this morning planning to be out the door by 5 and run for a good solid three hours. My schedule calls for 17 miles, but I figured I'd take it slow and do lots of walking and get in at least 15 miles. Negative.
It took me an hour and ten minutes to finish 5 miles! I couldn't even run half a mile without walking. My knee started out fine, but by mile 4 I knew I was doing more damage than good. So I looped home, picked up the dog and walked another 4 miles. So... 9 miles in all. Lame.
So, I decided I'm quitting the marathon. I know, right? I know. I'm a quitter. But the thing is... I know I can run a marathon. I don't need to prove that to myself. I wanted to prove that I could run a marathon fast. And I'm just not willing to jack my knee up anymore just to run a slow marathon. So I'm quitting.
I'm going to give my angry knee a couple of months of no running (okay, maybe a little running) to let him calm down. And maybe he'll return to his happy place and I can train for a Spring marathon. Boo.
Until then... I'm looking for a new work out. What do you guys do if you don't run? I thought about swimming... sounds like a lot of work. I've been hearing a lot about Zumba lately. I don't know what that is. Help a sista out! I can't do the elliptical any more. What should I do now?
6 comments:
You better still be coming to Wichita that weekend.
That stinks but it's a smart decision. I'm miss cheering you on n October. Mom
Friend it will be okay! Try stretching your IT band. It helps Bret and I. Otherwise, you need to have some major dance parties at your house:) Drew won't mind?
Spinning isn't horrible...and I know you're up for it at 5:45 a.m. Come join my cult!
i will go on walks with you! and i won't give you dirty looks like your dog did when you go slow. in high school, i "managed" cross country. i had the best job ever. i was the person who would run with the injured runners to make sure they were going slow enough not to get hurt again. my calling in life is to be a slow runner. ooooorrrr, we can nix the run, and watch glee and eat cupcakes.
Let's go to some classes at 24 Hour!!! Hopefully they'll be better than that one time...
Post a Comment