I tried out spinning this morning. It wasn't my first time, but it was my first time in a long long time. I haven't been in over a year. Running has kind of taken over my life.
Class started at 5:30, and by 5:45 I was absolutely drenched in sweat and gasping for breath. It was intense. Here's the thing I don't like about exercising in a group; I get super competitive. This works well during a race. Just ask Brooke. She's the one who taught me the game of picking off runners one at a time during a race. I blame her for my super competitiveness. But during a workout, I like to challenge myself, rather than feeling compelled to "beat" someone.
It was obvious that these girls were all regulars to the class because they all knew each other and the instructor called them by name. So I shouldn't be trying to keep up with them. But I found myself looking around, thinking "She's peddling faster than me." or "She looks like she's got more resistance going than me." or "She doesn't seem to be on the brink of passing out like me." Umm... yeah. Crazy Town over here.
I picked out one girl, on the bike next to me, who I seemed to be able to peddle faster than. No worries that before class started she announced that her baby is due in 2 weeks. I ignored that detail and focused on beating her. With about 15 minutes left in class, she slowed to a stop, stretched for a minute, put her bike up, and left. Quitter!!!! I win!!!!
Maturity aside, I ended the class about to fall over. It was super intense, but it didn't make me happy like my morning runs do. There is something about being on your own outside in the fresh air with the sun just coming up that is really up-lifting. It is far better than trying to out-peddle a pregnant woman on the verge of popping (is that why she left early?). But, for now it will have to do.
Next up: Zumba. Who's coming with me???
4 comments:
ZUMBA! Sarah & I are in a Zumba class here in Dodge. We're pretty much pros. If a pro spins around, jiggles and is confused most of the time. I asked Sarah if she thought all the bitching I do in my head burns any calories. Jury is still out. Good luck! I hope you're in a class full of people like me. You'll be able to beat everyone.
I tried zumba once. I fell down. Seriously, fell down in the middle of class. Super embarassing. Needless to say, I've never been back.
Hey, don't blame me for your competitiveness...I just helped you find your inner fire cobra :)
Yeah, I did a little Youtube research on Zumba. I don't think I'll be joining you... sorry. But I'm sure you'll do great, being a former Honey Bear and all!
Post a Comment