Monday, June 21, 2010

SNL: All Day Long

Today was my first day at my new school! For a number of reasons, most involving time of travel, I decided to switch from my beloved KSU to the University of Central Missouri. I was pretty nervous because I'm not very familiar with the town or the campus. But I put on my big girl pants and drove to Warrensburg (a little less than an hour away), found the campus, purchased a parking pass, and bought my lab manual... all in time to make it to my 9:00 class. I didn't really realize until today, but this is their mascot:

We always knew I was kind of a jackass. Now I can buy a t-shirt to prove it!

I'm taking a five week Food Preparation class on campus. Most of my classes are online, but this one obviously can't be taken from home. I was super excited for class because, duh, I love to cook! And I'm pretty stoked to learn actual techniques for things, rather than my stand by "burn the heck out of it" method.

I just didn't realize that this would be the best five weeks of my life. For real.

Top Five Reasons Why Jamie Loves Food Prep Class

5.We cook everyday. And we get to take home what we cook. Tomorrow we are making chocolate chip cookies. Day two and this is already the best class I've ever taken. Fast forward to the last day of class: Candy. They are requiring me to take a class in which I learn to make candy.

4.Today we didn't actually get to cook. Instead we did a taste-testing lab. We taste tested chips. What?! Day one and this is already the best class I've ever taken. Side note: Did you know there is such thing as chocolate tortilla chips? They are real, yo.

3. We get to go on a field trip. Field trip to the dairy farm!!! I get to learn how to milk a cow!!! What?!? Yes! It is going to be AMAZING!!! I will get pictures, don't you worry your pretty little heads off.

2. Not only do we get to wear aprons (my favorite thing!) when we cook, but we also get to wear chef's hats. And yes, I am channelling my inner Monica Gellar.

1. And the number one reason why I freaking love this class.... this is my teacher:


3 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

I just want you to know they have this exact same class at KSU. It's just as cool and it's in Manhattan. :)

Jamie said...

Yes, but Manhattan is further away... hence the reason I had to switch schools. :( Also, they don't have the Target Lady teaching!

Delaney Mae said...

We had dinner with your folks last night and your mom was talking about how much you're loving this class. What an awesome opportunity, and you seem so engaged. I can't wait to hear more! xo