Here's a random composting tidbit: to encourage your compost to compost faster you can add an "activator" to the mix. My book told me to use dog urine as an activator (but not dog poo). Okay, sure. We have lots of dog urine around here. Hell, the basement totally reeks of it. But how do you harness the power of dog urine?? I decided I'm pretty satisfied with a slower compost and will just avoid the use of any one's urine to speed the process along.
Fast forward to last night. I was knee deep in a crate full of dog urine when a light bulb went off. I'd gone through almost an entire roll of paper towels trying to sop up this mess (Hello! The guy turned three last week. Shouldn't he be able to hold it for a couple of hours???) and was feeling extremely guilty about the wasted paper. Then it dawned on me... I can use this dog pee soaked paper as an activator to encourage quicker compost. Genius! The fact that some good came out of this situation totally negates the fact that my hair now smells of dog potty. No really.
1 comment:
Hmmm, you say you need dog pee? I'm sending Eddie over.
Post a Comment