You know those people who post pictures of all their garden bounty on Facebook? Yeah, I'm not one of those people. Mainly because I don't have any garden bounty. Those people posting those pictures, make me sad. My garden is sad. Let's take a look at all the sadness...
| Embarrassed Tomatoes. |
The day after I took these pictures I went out and looked at plant number one, and literally got tears in my eyes when I saw a tiny tiny little green tomato popping out. Tears. I was so excited I made Drew come out and see. His response?
"That doesn't look like a tomato."
Like I said, he doesn't get excited about vegetables. Where's Jack when I need him?
On to the row of doom...
| Row of Doom. |
| Thrive, damn it. |
My sole kale plant was doing so well at the beginning of the summer! He was growing like crazy. Then all of a sudden these tiny black bugs started attacking him and literally ate every single leaf until he was nothing but stems. He's making a slow comeback, but still looks like the smallest, saddest kale ever.
| Teeny tiny sad kale. |
In brighter news, the cukes are making some progress. I can always count on my cukes.
| Baby cucumbers. |
My eggplant is growing beautifully. Eggplant are usually late bloomers, so I'm just happy he seems to be thriving so far. I'll look forward to eggplant in August. Fingers crossed!
| Don't let me down Mr. Eggplant. |
| "I love eggplant." |
| Happy Pepper. |
Somewhere along the way I decided that the reason my tomatoes weren't turning into tomatoes was because we don't have enough bees to pollinate them. So I Googled "how to attract more bees" and found out you can actually keep your own hive. They pollinate all your veggies, and make honey. Score!
When I shared this idea with Drew he immediately shot me down and told me to stop living in Jamieland. Rude. I figured I could talk him into it eventually. But after viewing a video on how to catch a swarm of bees, I'm pretty sure beekeeping isn't for me.
The upside to all this garden doom? I get to spend lots of time outside in the sunshine, with my puppies. And they are hilarious.
| Doesn't Mya look like she's about to take flight? :) |
3 comments:
I was just about to say, "Why do you have friends on facebook who post pictures of their garden, defriend them!" but then you mentioned your mom and that seemed mean. So...good luck with that Kale. You know I love Kale.
Aw, dangit. :( You could always buy some veggies at Hyvee and take pictures of them on your counter to post on FB... we won't tell!
I second that Katy!
I am jealous that you even have the ability to grow an actual garden. I would kill for a yard.
And bees...es no bueno friend.
Post a Comment