About a week ago, I got a hankering to make pie. No specific pie... I just really wanted to make pie. I was at my mom's house and she had Food Network on. I always have Food Network on too. Maybe this is hereditary? The Neelys caught my eye when I saw they were making a Peach Crumb Pie. Now tell me that doesn't sound fantastic.
The Vegan and the Coach's Wife came over for dinner this week, so I thought it would be the perfect time to make pie. Come on, we know if I made a pie with no company coming over I'd eat that whole dang thing myself... minus the one piece Drew would eat. The only thing I had to do now was veganize the pie.
This turned out to be super easy because the only animal product called for in the recipe was butter. I just subbed Earth Balance and called it a day. The Neelys used a store-bought pie crust, but I made my own vegan version.
| Peach pie a la |
| I ♥ Pie. |
| Cheers! Pie! |
Vegan Peach Crumb Pie
Ingredients:
Filling:
- 5 large, ripe but firm peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons
unsalted butterEarth Balance, cut into small cubes - 1/3 cup sliced almonds
Pie:
1 roll store-bought pie dough1 Recipe No Fail Vegan Pie Crust- 2 tablespoons
unsalted butterEarth Balance, thinly sliced (It doesn't really slice)
Method:
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sugar, and cinnamon. Add the cornstarch to a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice so no lumps remain (I used the juice of a whole lemon and then still needed to add some cold water to thin out the cornstarch). Pour the cornstarch mixture over the peaches and toss. Let the peaches sit for 15 minutes while you roll out the pie dough and make the streusel topping.
- To make the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a large bowl. Blend the
butterEarth Balance into the mixture with your fingers until it forms pea-size lumps and looks crumbly (the Earth Balance totally melted and the mixture was more of a paste, but it still baked up crumbly). Stir in the almonds. - To assemble: Roll out the dough
an extra inchon a lightly-floured surface. Place the dough in the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp edges as desired. - Pour the pie filling into the pie shell and sprinkle the streusel topping over the pie. Dot the top with sliced
butterEarth Balance. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
1 comment:
Pretty girls make pretty pies! Good job Jamie! Love you!
Post a Comment