Happy Monday! This week already seems like the longest week ever... but that's okay, because I have a super easy & delicious meat-free meal for ya!
I'm sure you've heard of eggs in a basket. Toad in the hole? Bird's nest? All the same thing. Basically you poke a hole in some bread and fry it up with an egg in the middle. It's delicious. This is basically the same thing only a little bit fancier.
I swear I saw Rachael Ray make this on her show one night and it was so easy that I just kept using the same method, never actually needing a recipe. When I went to find the recipe online to share with ya'll, it wasn't there. There is another recipe for eggs in a basket, but not this one. So I'll claim it as my own. :)
This version of eggs in a basket gets a little fancy by using Italian bread, Parm cheese, and going in the oven rather than a frying pan.
| The Before. |
| The After. |
| Finished Product. |
Italian Eggs in a Basket
Ingredients:
- Eggs
- Italian bread
- Butter
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Fire-roasted tomatoes, or tomato sauce
- Slice bread, one or two pieces per person. Cut holes in the bread. I've found that a shot glass is the perfect size for this.
- Butter bread slices and lay them in a casserole dish.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into a dish and then slide it into the hole in the bread. Repeat with the rest of the eggs.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and Parm.
- Bake, covered, at 375 for about 20 minutes. Toast should be golden and eggs should be firm.
- Top with tomatoes and enjoy!
Now, let's talk about eggs for a moment, shall we? I'm not getting on a soapbox, I swear. Just a friendly chat.
| Incredible edible egg! |
When reading The Omnivore's Dilemma back in the fall, I learned some really disturbing stuff about egg-laying hens. Really really really terrible stuff. Like so bad, that I had to make some freak-out calls to people I knew would understand my egg dilemma. I'm pretty sure DeAnna's response was something like, "What are you eating eggs for anyway? You know those are just dead baby chickens!"
Note to self: Don't call DeAnna when you're looking for comfort.*
I'm not cut out for vegan-dom. I just don't think I have it in me. But after hearing about those poor poor chickens, I make sure to always always always buy free-range eggs.
Happy {meatless} Monday!
*Note to self: Do call DeAnna when looking for an eager and willing vacation buddy.
**If you've seen Food, Inc or read any of Michael Pollan's books, you know that "access to the outdoors" doesn't necessarily mean the chickens are living a peachy-keen life on the farm. But I have to believe it's still better than the alternative.
2 comments:
I have tried to post this twice now, hopefully it works:
Ha! That dead chicken comment is the kind that make Chris roll his eyes at me daily. That meal looks delicious. I'm trying to veganize it in my head right now. Vegas Baby!
Mmmmm eggs!!!
Post a Comment