Thursday, February 10, 2011

Champagne Wishes and Sugar Cookie Dreams

This post is coming to you a bit late, but just in time for Valentine's Day.  Last week, in the midst of Snowmageddon, I did what any logical person would do.  I got into my sweats (and supa-old sorority shirt), popped open a bottle of champagne, and went to work on a batch of cookies.

LBA: Little Black Apron... comes with its own pearls... seemed appropriate with champagne.

Don't try this at home... nah, go ahead and do it.
Lots of snow = lots of time on my hands = cookie decorating extravaganza.

Drew loves me thinks I'm super lame.
This sugar cookie recipe is super duper amazingly good.  It only makes a small amount, so if you are looking for lots, you might want to double or triple it.  The recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs: Good Things Catered.  Unfortunately the blog isn't around any longer.  Lucky for you (and me!) I printed out the recipe.

Perfect for decorating.




Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt (Kind of a lot!  Use less if you don't like a bite to your cookies.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Method:
  • In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
  • Add the flour in small batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.  Beat until the dough just comes together.  Careful not to over-mix!
  • Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Roll out the dough (use lots of flour!) out to 1/4" thick. 
  • Cut the cookies into desired shapes (hearts are best!) and place on a cookie sheet lined in parchment paper.  Transfer to the freezer and chill for at least 15 minutes.
  • Bake cookies until light golden brown, about 10 - 12 minutes.
  • Let the cookies cool completely on the sheets.  They will be soft and might break if you move them before they are cool.
  • Frost and decorate!

     
Like I said, the recipe doesn't make a ton.  Unfortunately for Kait, Drew and I had made it through almost half the batch by the time I got them to her.  We probably owe her another batch.
    Love you Kait!
     
    Be My Valentine.
And, just for good measure, let's take a look at what the puppies were up to during the Blizzard of Oz:


Neighborhood Watch.

Keeping an eye out for evil snowmen.

Obviously you can cut and decorate these cookies any way you like, but my favorite is for V-Day.  ♥

Are you doing anything special for your honey on Valentine's Day?  I always assume the way to someone's heart is straight through the belly.  Works every time.

6 comments:

sarah said...

suggestion-- use powedered sugar when rolling out cookies instead of flour.

Callie said...

Yum, I might have to make these.
I'm planning on making PW Cinnamon rolls again for Vday... I didn't get fat enough from the last batch.

Lauren Grier said...

Jamie -I want to hear your best Robin Leach impression....

Kmac - Can I have your job? How are you in bed all the time?!!!

Krista said...

Those look SO yummy! I never have good luck with sugar cookies, so I might have to give these a try!

Jamie said...

Sarah, I've done that before, but these are a bit sticky and needed flour. I made up for the powdered sugar in the frosting. :)

Callie, please send some cinnamon rolls this way! Those are my fave!

Lauren, I don't know who that is?!?

Krista, do it! It took me a million tries before I got the hang of sugar cookies. The biggest secret is to keep the dough super cold before rolling it out.

Kaitlin said...

Hahaha you posted the awful morning picture of me not once, but twice! Lauren, I think you need to be a teacher. Snow days are amazing. I would love to tell you Jamie came to deliver my cookies first thing in the morning, but let's be honest, you know I sleep until noon.