Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Other Side of a Race

Saturday was my absolute favorite race ever.  But I didn't run.  Instead I signed up to work the Girls on the Run water station to see what the other side of a race looks like.  You always hear about how a race wouldn't work without the volunteers, but dang.  I never knew how true that was until yesterday!

The day got off to a shaky start.  The following has nothing to do with the race and everything to do with me being a complete disaster:

We were told to be at the aid station by 6:00 AM.  Ouch.  That's early!  They also told us to park at Union Station and walk from there.  I parked in the back, but wasn't sure how to get out from there.  I walked toward Union Station, but didn't think it would be open this early, so I walked past it, thinking I could just go around.  Remember, it is 6:00 and pitch dark.  I follow the sidewalk and end up in a huge parking garage.  I decide to just keep walking because surely if I keep moving forward I'll get out.  No.  I will not.  I just got completely turned around and had no idea where I was.  It was dark and there weren't a lot of cars, but there was one kinda old shabby car with a guy sitting in it.  I just kept praying he wouldn't get out.

At one point I found a door to elevators.  I figured I could take the elevators to a lobby and go out from there.  Nope.  I then found a door to some stairs that said IN CASE OF EMERGENCY ONLY.  Whatev.  This is definitely an emergency.  I walked into the stairwell and was just relieved that it was lit.  I seriously ran up the stairs to the next level.  I reached for the handle and pulled.  Locked.  From the inside.  OMG.  I raced down the stairs and about burst into tears when I found that the door I'd come through hadn't fully latched yet and I could get out.  People, what would I have done??  Who do you call at 6 AM when you are locked in a stairwell at a train station downtown??? 

After that, I found a door marked EXIT and was so relieved to see it opened up to the outside... even if I was in a dark alley.  I followed it to one end and came out nose to nose with... a train.  OMG.  You know I was freaking out.  Freaking. Out. 

Finally, FINALLY I found my way back to where I'd come in and was able to walk out, avoiding creepster still in his car.  By this time there are tons of runners who have parked where I did and I followed them through Union Station (duh, it was open) out to the street.  Oh my goodness.  I thought I was going to be on the news. 

Back to the race... I showed up at the aid station 45 minutes late after my parking garage diabolical.  So I missed out on most of the set up.  I cannot believe the amount of people, cups, and water that it takes just to set up one aid station!  Ours was the first, so we were well stocked. 

The Girls on the Run took the first table at the station.  We had three stacks of pre-filled cups with a plan to refill as we went.  Each of us was designated a pourer or a hander outer.  That plan went out the window when we were bombarded with 8,000 runners who all seemed to want water from our table.  For future reference: if you are running a race, skip the first table because everyone stops there.  The table a few feet down has the same water and less traffic. 

In actuality, we were only passing out water for maybe 40 minutes from when the first runner went by to when the last walkers came through.  It was a whirlwind but so much fun!  I wanted to see all the fabulous people I knew were running, but I only saw one. 

We cleaned up our station and then I headed to the finish line where I grabbed a bagel and a beer from the volunteer tent and then parked at the 26 mile marker to watch the runners finish.

I have never felt so much inspiration.  Watching people (especially those first half marathoners) come into the finish, giving it everything they had.  Whoa.  I have never been so inspired to run!

Cups stacked 3 high.

Those are ninja turtles.  For the ninja runners.

Here come the first runners!

Bring it.

Our station after most runners had been through.

I love custom shirts!!!

Racing is such a big deal.

The gal in the hat is the head of GOTR.  Best job ever!

Free beer for volunteers!!!

Mile 26.

This dude bounced a basketball for 13.1 miles!

You are unstoppable.

The first marathoner to come in.  Dang speedy.

Everyone's favorite Trophy Wife!

She's on the left.  Her shirt says "Runs on Plants."  The front says "No Meat Athlete."  So cute!
What a great experience!  If you've never been to a race, go!  It is so much fun to see people pushing their limits and accomplishing such amazing goals.  But here's a tip for when you're cheering:  You can yell "Good job!" and "You're doing great!"  But please never say "You're almost there!" or "It's so close!"  You have no idea how far that last 0.1 or 0.2 miles is unless you've run 13 or 26 miles before it.  It is the longest hardest part of the race.  When you yell stuff like that you make the runners want to punch you in the face.  For real.

Congratulations to everyone who ran!  YOU ROCK!!!

3 comments:

Lauren Grier said...

Great story! I am sure it was super scary at the time but I am glad you can write about it and laugh:)

Anonymous said...

Love this! Thanks so much for volunteering. And taking pictures of me. I TOTALLY saw that girl in the red pants while scanning the stations to try to find you! So sad I missed you.
Trophy Wife

Some kind of Jennifer said...

I figured you were at one of the early stations since I didn't see you. By mile 20, there's not much competition for hydration -- at least not all at the same time. But I knew you were there and I knew you were cheering me on and it was AWESOME!

BTW, my sister has theorized that if you have a blog, your life will fill with drama so that you can fill your blog with drama. Seems to be the case for me, and after reading your parking lot/stairwell saga, I believe you have confirmed her hypothesis.