Friday, October 22, 2010

Blondies Have More Fun

After my last encounter with Blondies, I remarked that I'd love to try making these delicious bars with pumpkin.  Melinda responded right away with a full-size Blondie recipe made with pumkin AND chocolate chips.  Yes please.

Pumpkin + Chocolate + Blondie = Yum


Pumpkin Blondies
Ingredients
  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
Method
  • Preheat oven to 350.  Spray bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 inch baking sheat with nonstick cooking spray.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flou, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars on medium-high speed until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Beat in pumpkin.  If the mixture looks curdled, do not fret.
  • Reduce speed to low, mix in dry ingredients until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
  • Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.  Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 35 - 40 minutes.  Cool completely in the pan.

    Get in my belly!
    
My favorite part of this recipe?  The fact that it told me not to fret over the batter looking curdled.  It did look curdled!  I would so have been fretting had it not told me not to!  Also, you definitely need to bake these the full 40 minutes.  I still kind of felt like mine were under-done.

These suckers were dense.  For real.  They were more cake-like than bar-ish like the last ones I made.  Delicious all the same. 

Thanks Melinda for sharing the super tasty recipe!  If anyone else has a pumpkin recipe, or a Blondie recipe for that matter, that you think I should be trying... send it my way!

No comments: