Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Hippy Day!

Or, Happy Earth Day!

Things are getting dirty over here. Dirty as in... hippies. We are dirty hippies. I'm sorry, but you had to have seen this coming, right?

Drew built me a compost bin!

You may notice that he isn't as excited about the transition to tree-hugger as I am:

Composting is super easy, and so good for the environment! Not to mention that when next Spring rolls around and I go to plant my veggies I'll have super-soil which will give me super-veggies. Its a win-win here.

Drew built the box, I filled it up:


Dirty! You can compost lots of stuff including: old nasty leaves from under your deck, grass clippings, and kitchen waste like fruit and vegetable scraps. I didn't realize how much kitchen waste we actually had until I started collecting it. It is a lot.



You just dump the stuff in there:


Then you toss in some worms (I know, right?), cover it up, and let nature do its work. You kind of stir it up once in a while too. Easy as that, you're a hippie.


Fun Facts:

  • Composting keeps organic materials out of landfills which frees up space for the rest our junk.
  • Up to 50% of household waste is organic, and therefor compostable.
  • Keeping organic materials out of landfills prevents the build-up of methane.
  • Methane contributes to the greenhouse effect 21 times more than carbon dioxide. Hello climate change!
  • Composting prevents the pollution of water sources.

So, if you aren't converting to hippie-ism, what are you doing to celebrate this Earth Day? Are you making any changes to help the environment?

3 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

AH!!! I'm so jealous. I've been talking about wanting to start composting FOR-EVER! I think more than half my trash is compostable so I need to stop talking about it and start doing it!

Also, Drew might not be excited about being a Hippy but he is Kstate Proud.

Unknown said...

does it stink??

Bryan said...

I've got some diapers filled with some amazingly rich organic material if you are ever interested.