Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Running: It's Contagious!

I was chatting with an old friend from high school over Facebook (what did we do before FB??) and she was telling me about training for a marathon this spring. We started tossing around the idea of getting together to do the Wichita marathon next fall. I did the Wichita marathon in 2008 and it was kind of... lame. Running through an air force base is not as thrilling as it sounds... especially when spectators aren't allowed and you don't get food or drink for 10 miles. Apparently Wichita has stepped up its game and redone the race for 2010.

So my friend and I were chatting about how it would be fun if we got a bunch of girls from high school together to run the various races that day... I believe they have a half marathon and 5K, and then go out that night to catch up over drinks and dinner. We were tossing out names of people we could recruit to run and she asked if Nicky would be interested. The only exercise I remember Nicky ever doing was practicing a kick dance to Mariah Carey, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I sent Nicky a message (FaceBook!) asking if she wanted to do the race... maybe the 5K? Her response: "YOU MUST HAVE LOST YOUR DAMN MIND."

Okay... so that was a no go.

This was maybe a month ago. I dropped it.

THEN, last night she posted on my FB wall: "I started running..."

Yea!!! Now I'm expecting a 5K in the fall, Nicky!

In other new runner news: Congrats to Meg for running her first race!!! AND, good luck to Melinda who is training for her first 5K! Woot woot! I love to hear about people taking up running! Any other new runners I should know about???

To quote my favorite marathoner:

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."
-Oprah

No comments: