Yep, that's Manhattan. I took this picture because we sat at this light for like 20 minutes and I was reminded of the remarkable urban planning in my favorite town ever.
So what are we doing here? Let's start with back story: I've mentioned before that Drew and I are kind of homebodies lately. So much so, that we have a very stringent Friday night routine which involves a lot of sitting on the couch, usually eating pizza, and watching The Soup. We LOVE The Soup. We don't even watch most of the shows that Joel McHale makes fun of. I think we're just bad people and enjoy laughing at others' expense. When Joel announced that he had a new sitcom starting last fall, we added DVR'd episodes of Community to our Friday night routine. My twenty-one year old self is cringing right now at my lameness.
A few weeks ago Joel announced at the end of The Soup that he was going to be performing in Manhattan Kansas and Drew surprised me with tickets! I was so pleased. :)
We drove up early for dinner at So Long Saloon:
I would consider moving back to Manhattan just for easy access to the So Long Black Bean & Raspberry dip:
Drew was super excited for the Resist Temptation burger. It has an egg on top:
True story: So Long was our first official "date". We'd been seeing each other or whatever you call it in college when you get drunk and go to date parties together, but had never actually gone to dinner together.
After a Wednesday morning final Drew called and asked if I wanted to go to Pillsbury Creek with him and some friends for the afternoon. I blew off studying for finals and spent the afternoon drinking with my cute boyfriend instead. When we got back to town Drew suggested we go out to eat at So Long and insisted I had to try this burger that had an egg on top. I thought he was nuts. Again, I'd been drinking all afternoon and have no idea if I actually tried it that day. But So Long still remains close to my heart as our first "date".
Back to present day, boring me... I ordered the Crank It Up and Head South with a portobella mushroom instead of burger. It was so spicy I was literally chugging my beer and demanding more from the bartender.
We had just enough time before the show to do a quick walk through of Aggieville and stop at our favorite bar for a drink:
After gushing about memories of walking in and knowing everyone at the bar and everyone who worked there, Drew asked if I'd like him to start singing the Cheers theme song. Smart ass.
Then we headed to McCain to see Joel! So excited:

Our seats were in the balcony, kind of far up. I think Joel referred to it as "steerage".
He was far away, but so much closer than on TV. The show was AWESOME. I thought Drew might pee his pants from laughing so hard. Some highlights:
Our seats were in the balcony, kind of far up. I think Joel referred to it as "steerage".
- Joel opened the show by referring to the Jayhawk as an abomination of science... which really endeared him to the crowd... except for the folks who drove in from Lawrence for the show.
- He used the word "douche" about a thousand times, much to Drew's delight.
- He gave us the inside scoop on phone calls he receives from angry celebrities about what he says on the show. The most frequent caller? Hugh Hefner.
- He did a delightful Hef impression.
- Joel talked all about his wife and son Eddie. Hilarious. I didn't even know he was married... I kind of thought maybe he was dating Ryan Seacrest.
- He made a lot of fun of Ryan Seacrest.
- He kept referring to Ed Hardy t-shirts as "douche-capes" and then after saying it like a thousand times, noticed that a guy in the front row was wearing said douche cape. Hilarious.
Joel was on stage for a good hour and a half. He had us laughing the entire time and it was really fun to see a more candid version of him. I'm just sad we couldn't stick around and stalk him after the show to see which bar he went to.
Oh! And he announced that Community will be on for a second season! Score!!!
4 comments:
Love this post. So many great manhattan references...I miss So Long and I REALLY miss Pillsbury crossing. Loved your recap of Joel's show and that he made fun of the jayhawk.
I am so jealous of you right now. SO JEALOUS.
Seriously, I can almost taste the bean dip and beer.
I love the Soup. Even I would have gone to Manhattan to see Joel McHale... and I hate Manhattan!
Post a Comment