Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Goals... resolutions... whatevs...

Everyone seems to have posted their official New Year's Resolutions for the year, so I know I'm a little late on this. Usually I make like a thousand resolutions and never write any of them down and then can't remember what any of them are by February. Only this year I've reached January 5th and can't really remember all the virtues I intended to instill into my life... oops! Instead, here are some things I'm looking forward to in the next year, with some resolutions mixed in:

HALF MARATHONS!!! I've declared 2010 the year of the half. I decided that if I am going to reach my goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon by the time I'm 30 (way closer than it used to be!) I need to actually try to run faster.

I have 4 halfs lined up for the spring, the first of which is this month! I haven't signed up for the Topeka to Auburn 1/2 marathon yet b/c I'm holding out on the weather. If it is going to be below 20 degrees I'm out. I'm not that tough! My PR is something like 1 hour and 50 minutes for a half marathon and I'd like to beat that sometime this spring. After that we'll see if I stick with the 1/2 or move on to training for another full this fall.

****Resolution****
Run faster

SCHOOL!!! Yep, I'm going back to school! I'm so excited to start classes next week! I'm taking 11 hours at Johnson County Community College and 6 hours online through K-State, all in an attempt to get my degree in Family and Consumer Science Education. I'm gonna be a Home Ec Teacher! Sorry Jana, I know I'm not supposed to use the HE word!

I'm also super nervous for school! I'm going to be almost 10 years older than some of the people in my classes! So weird. What am I going to wear? And more importantly, what kind of bag do I carry? If you are bored at work (and why else would you be reading this?) please take some time to search online for a new bag for me to carry my books in. I need something cute, but not something that screams "I'm old and trying to be cool!" Bonus points to whoever finds me the best bag!

****Resolution****
Be more organized, get good grades, look cute, not old!

WE'RE DEBT FREE!!! Okay, not really. But as you may know, I'm a huge Dave Ramsey fan. So I'm very excited to be paying off Drew's car in the next few months... just in time to replace that debt with student loans. Dave would not be pleased to hear about that, so please don't tell him. It will just be so nice not to have a car payment every month!

****Resolution****
Stop spending money!

VACATION!!! Okay, not really. I'm forgoing the annual Spring trip to St. Croix this year because it conflicts with those classes I mentioned earlier. So poor Drew will have to go it alone this year... and possibly for the next few years! As someone pointed out, teachers can't really take off in the middle of the year to go to the islands. Do you think the bank would be willing to coordinate its audit with Spring Break?

Even though I won't be spending a week on the beach, we do have some fun weekend trips lined up for the upcoming year. We're hoping to make it to Kentucky to visit our friend Blake. My cousin is getting married in May in Nashville to a lovely gal. I've always wanted to go to Nashville! I'd really like to get our friends together for a float trip this summer! Anyone in? And I'm bound and determined to start an annual ski weekend in Angel Fire with Jess and Ryan. Sounds fun, huh?!

****Resolution****
Have more fun.

ECLIPSE!!! Comes out in June, right?!? Jess will not make the mistake of ordering a Diet Coke in a cup other than the collector's edition.

****Resolution****
Find out if the Taylors really broke up, add more goth pieces to wardrobe, practice teen angst.

So, lots of things to look forward to in 2010! As for other resolutions, Drew and I have decided to start eating "cleaner". We're eating less processed foods (goodbye Oreos) and trying to eat more real, whole foods (hello Mr. Apple), organic when possible. We're also avoiding high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. So far it is going pretty well. I think the hardest part for me is going to be baking. I guess I just have to replace cupcakes with muffins and cookies with granola. Man, I'm going to be a popular gal at game nights and dinner parties!

We've also agreed to one "cheat" meal a week where we can have the processed stuff we've been missing. I'm pretty sure we'll be holding out for Sunday night dinners at the Gibsons because there is no way I could ever turn away a dessert from Drew's mom. I don't have that kind of will power.

We'll see how it goes... we're not trying to lose weight or anything... just trying to be healthier in general without going overboard or doing something crazy like swearing off Ben & Jerry's forever. I'm sure I'll be updating, and if I'm not it is probably because I'm hiding in the closet stuffing my face with oreos or devouring a bowl of brownie batter. Cheers to that!

What are you looking forward to in the new year?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I look forward to your blog entries every day! They always make me laugh out loud. My coworkers probably think I'm crazy! Love the "resolutions" and am giving you major kudos for returning to school! Bravo to you! :)