Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sugo's Spaghetteria

We're doing a "restaurant review" writing series in class where my eighth graders are learning how to be food critics.  I was searching for examples of actual restaurant reviews and found a KC Star write-up of Sugo's Spaghetteria.  After reading the review several times, I was in agreement with my students; it sounds awesome.

So I was happy to choose Sugo's as our October Wednesday Night Dinner destination.  It's casual Italian dining.  And it was everything I expected, and more.

Dinner was scheduled during one of my peak training weeks before the Chicago marathon, so I was literally starving when I arrived.  I walked in and was greeted by a warm loaf of bread and olive oil for dipping.  Way to start our rendezvous off right, Sugo. 

This was also during my term of sobriety, so I skipped the wine.  It was not easy.  But I stuck with water.  I ordered a salad and one of the Neopolitan pizzas; the funghi.  It was crazy huge.  And crazy delish.

Holy mushrooms, Batman!
Kate offered to pay for my dinner this month AND next month if I could finish the thing.  I was able to down 2 slices.  And then I had lunch for the next day week.  Although my wallet was sad to miss out on free meals, my tummy thanked me for avoiding disaster.  And my thighs are still thanking me for avoiding the extra pounds.

All of the meals were huge.  But extremely tasty!  Don't order anything labeled "funghi" unless you are a serious mushroom fan.  Lucky for me, mushrooms are my jam.  So I was a happy lady.  They also have a funghi pasta dish.  Huge.


I cannot make this picture smaller.  Probably because the dish was so huge.

 
We all agreed that Sugo's was a definite plus.  The food was good and the price was right.  It isn't a fancy gourmet restaurant, but it isn't supposed to be.  It is a nice, well-priced Italian eatery.  I will absolutely go back... on a Monday night because the pizza and salad is on special for $10.  That will feed me for a week!  Holla!
 
Happy Ladies.  Big Plates.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

I mean just look how huge the pizza looks compared to the other plates in the group picture. I might have paid for your next three dinners if you finished!