Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I ♥ October

Hooray for Fall!  October is hands-down my absolute favorite month.  And it isn't because I was born in this glorious month.  I'm not even a Halloween person.  There's just something about transitioning from Summer grilling nights to Autumn baking... putting the sundresses away and pulling out the boots.  October is magical for so many reasons.  Here's ten:

1.  Perfect running weather.  I cannot overstate the feeling of euphoria that comes from running in this weather.  After coming home from school and facing 10-milers in the 90 degree heat throughout September, a 65-degree anything makes me remember why I love this sport so much.

2.  Pumpkins on porches.  I'm not a big decorator, especially for the seasons.  But I love picking out big pumpkins to sit on my porch with a pot of mums*.  The uglier the pumpkin, the better.

3.  Dog-walking weather.  Summer is hard on the mutts.  Especially Mya.  She isn't equipped for long walks during the hot months.  But with the cooler weather, we're able to make longer treks.  This means long weekend walks to the coffee shop.  My favorite!

4.  Cooler temps mean I can use my oven!  Hello muffins and homemade bread and granola!  It finally doesn't seem like a terrible idea to heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven.  Suddenly, an impromptu quiche craving can be satisfied in time for dinner.  Welcome back, oven!

5.  Marathon Month!  Fall is prime marathon-running time.  October not only boasts our home-town KC run, but lots of big names in marathoning... like the Chicago marathon NEXT WEEK!!!!

6.  Fall Flavors.  The pumpkin latte is everyone's Fall favorite, but there are so many other delicious seasonal options out there!  Have you tried the pumpkin pie bagel at Panera?  How about the pink ribbon bagel?  Octoberfest beer, pumpkin butter from Trader Joe's, Autumn Roast coffee at Einstein Brothers**... these should not be overlooked!  And let's not forget about Halloween Oreos.

7.  Soup season is here!  Soup is how I make it through the Winter.  But it's also how I enjoy the heck out of Fall.  October is the perfect time to pull out the soup pot and bust out some vegan chili, black bean stew, and my favorite kale & white bean soup.  Not to mention soup is the best way to use all those lovely Fall squashes that are showing up in the grocery store!

8.  Sweater Weather.  I love bundling up!  Question: where do you keep your sweaters?  I always hear you are supposed to fold them, not hang them.  But for me, this leads to wrinkles.  What is the solution?

9.  Pear Perfection.  Apples get lots of attention this time of year... and for good reason!  Apple season means all sorts of delicious things like apple-picking, apple cider, and apple donuts.  But did you know it's pear season too?  Ridiculously ripe, sweet, and juicy... there is nothing better than a pear.  And they can do pretty much anything an apple can do.  Sure, we don't hear a lot about pear-cider, but how about baked pears?  Pear crumble?  Pears are awesome, and you know it.

10.  Fireplace Smells.  Sadly, I do not have a fireplace at home.  But I love walking on a crisp night and enjoying the smell of others who have started up a toasty fire for the first time this year.  You know it's Fall when the October fires are filling the air.

I'm so excited for the coming month!  What is your favorite thing about October?


*I bought mums last week.  They are now dead.
** PV is getting our Einstein back!  Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best thing about October is that we were blessed with you 31 years ago.