Thursday, June 20, 2013

Adventures in Europe; Day 2

Buses, Buckingham, and Beers

Day two in London started off with a bang.  We had a plan and headed out the door to catch a double-decker bus for the grand tour of London.

So excited!
Seriously, I realize that the bus tour is super touristy and sounds kind of lame.  But it was absolutely one of our favorite activities the whole trip.  The weather was gorgeous and we just sat back with our coffee and listened as our guide shared historical details and hilarious stories about the sites of London.
Westminster Abbey.  Hands down, best abbey I've ever seen.

So I was in my map...
 


It's London, baby!

Drew is thoroughly impressed by the eye.
 
Our favorite bridge; Tower Bridge.

Buckingham Palace; changing of the guards.

The queen did not invite us in for tea.  Boo.

Yes, I'm drinking Starbucks.  I'm sorry.

Trafalgar Square.

On the steps of the National Gallery.

A lot of British flags.

London Calling.


The bus tour takes you by all of the major sites in London and you are able to hop on and off whenever you like.  You also get to learn all kinds of fun info.  For instance, when we drove by the Ritz, our guide shared that having tea here costs 60 pounds and must be booked up to 6 weeks in advance.  Dang... that must be some good tea.

Anyone for tea?

We also spent time at more of London's green spaces where {surprise!} there were mobs of people just hanging out doing nothing. 


Handsome fellow.
 After a long day of sightseeing, we decided to take part in what apparently is a British custom; drinking.  We were staying near the Tower Bridge, which is the financial district.  Our guide book told us the area was kind of dead at night, but it did not inform us that it is hopping during happy hour(s). 

From about 4:00 in the afternoon to 10:00 at night, the pubs are literally bursting with people dressed to the nines in their business suits.  These people cover the sidewalks, sipping on pints.  It was so bizarre.  We had to take part.

Our pub of choice.
 
We entered the pub and I asked the bartender for a beer recommendation.  She suggested Peroni.  Ummm... hi, that's Italian.  I'm the only person in here wearing jeans.  I am clearly a tourist looking for something English. 

Luckily a friendly local was able to steer me in the direction of something a bit more British.  We stood amongst the business folk on the sidewalk, clearly sticking out like a sore thumb, but loving every minute of it. 

Beers were followed by a late dinner (pizza!) and back to our hotel to catch the late night airing of Fresh Prince of Bel Air.  No, I'm not kidding.  They show it every night and it may have been the best thing about London.

Lessons Learned:
1.  Bus tour is awesome-sauce.  Do it.
2.  Tea is serious, and expensive.  Book in advance.
3.  Make friends with the locals to get good beer recommendations.

1 comment:

DeAnna said...

I'm loving these recaps. Let's travel together some day.