Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Half Marathon PR!!!

Earlier this week I decided to run the Indian Creek Half Marathon... today.  Nothing like a little impromptu race weekend, right? 

So my running friend Brittney is getting coached by a real life running coach.  I did a long run with them a couple of weeks ago and after chatting for a bit, he came to the conclusion that I'm very confused about what pace I should be running.  He says that based on my most recent 5K time, I should be running an 8:20 pace for my marathon. 

That is crazy.  That would qualify me for Boston.  That is so much faster than I ever run in a marathon. 

So he suggested that I fit a half marathon into my training so that I could get a better feel for where I should be at... pace-wise, and to boost my confidence about running fast.  I set a goal for myself of beating 1 hour and 45 minutes.  That's an 8 minute per mile pace. 

This race is super small.  About 200 people ran.  The race is actually held on the trails that I usually do my training runs on so I was very familiar with the area.  It was a lot of out-and-backs, so not the most exciting race ever.  But I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day and I felt great!

Here are lots of pics taken by my personal photographer and one man cheering section*.





See the guy behind me in the blue shorts?  He seriously paced me for like 5 miles.  He was awesome.  This is right after I broke away and decided to push the pace toward the end.  He almost caught up to me at the finish line.




The finish!  See how close he was to catching me?!
 I almost puked at the end from the effort.  It hurt, but it felt so good to make my goal time!!!

All my goodies!

Yep, this is upside down.  I'm too lazy to fix it.
Since it was an out and back, I was able to see how many gals were in front of me because as they headed in to the finish, I was still heading out to the turnaround.  I counted 5, then caught up to one of them around mile 12 and passed her.  It is super awkward passing people in a small race, especially toward the end.  But, it's called a race for a reason, right?

So, I'm pretty sure I was the 4th female overall (no official results posted yet), and 4th in my age group.  I've never ever wanted to be 30 until I saw what the top 3 finishers in each age group won:

Winner.
They won some crazy Hallmark snowman statue!  What?!?  That is hilarious!  When they started handing them out, I looked at Drew and told him how badly I want that!  He said I just want one so I can blog about it.  Duh.  He knows me so well.

I did not win one.  Dang speedy girls!  Seriously, the winning female finished in 1:25.  That is crazy.  Cray-cray.

So, I learned a few things today. 
  1. I can run faster than I think.  I think I just get scared.  26 miles is a long way.
  2. I should not eat GU with caffeine.  I took one at mile 8 and could instantly feel my heart begin to race.
  3. Boys DO NOT liked to be passed.  Especially by a girl.
  4. I am a monster on hills.  This is where I pass boys. 
  5. I must either get faster or turn 30 if I ever hope to win a snowman.  I think I'll forgo 30 and just try to run faster.

Must. Win. Snowman.

Ummm... did you notice?  No knee sleeves!!!  This is almost better than a PR. 


*Isn't Drew the best?

9 comments:

Sam said...

Seriously?!?! You rock! Not only PR, but YOU PASSED A BOY (oh and a really serious looking, no-shirt boy)!! I am so proud!!

Trophy Wife said...

Sam is right, that guy was serious with no shirt! I'm so proud of you! I wish I'd known you were running, I totally would have stalked you with Drew. You are crazy fast! And yay no knee sleeves!

Delaney Mae said...

You are COMPLETELY amazing! Congrats on every part of this!!

Lauren Grier said...

CONGRATS FRIEND! I am sooooooo proud of you! You totally rock! I know for sure that you'll run a sub 4 at the end of this month!

Katy said...

I didn't know that race was this weekend! I ran later in the morning and man it was HOT! You're a rockstar... Boston qualification in no time!

The McGuire's said...

Teach me your crazy fast ways!!!!! So awesome Jamie, super excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I tell you what...You keep up the good work, and when you qualify for Boston, I will buy you a snowman! How about that for a deal!

Kaitlin said...

Um, didn't you learn your lesson at our 5K??? Don't give them your age, and you can win the "other" age group!

Krista said...

You are such a rock star!! Teach me how to run...like you teach kiddos how to make white castle sliders. I'm sure it would be a similar obstacle.