Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jane Eyre

I'm always saying that I am going to read "the classics".  And I really always mean to.  Like over Christmas break, I had tons of extra time on my hands.  So I totally meant to spend some of that time reading one of the classics... but I ended up reading My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler instead.  Not quite a classic... yet.

It took me seeing a preview for Jane Eyre to get me interested in actually reading the book.  The movie looks really good, but I have a strict book before the movie rule.  And by that time classes were starting up and I'd run out of time for non-textbook reading.
So technically I didn't read the book, but thanks to a long commute and the JoCo Library, I was able to listen to the entire audio book. It is long.

The story is long. There is a lot of detail at the beginning that I didn't really see a point to... until the end. I even asked my mom if anything was ever going to happen. Oh, it happens.

Jane Eyre has romance, mystery, suspense... the whole sha-bang. Jane Austin is my favorite author, and Charlotte Bronte has a very similar writing style and the story has very similar settings. So its no surprise I love love loved this book. I can't wait to go see the movie!

1 comment:

Katy said...

I want to see this!!! But I don't want to read the book - is that bad? I gave a couple of "the classics" a go last summer... without much luck. I guess that isn't too surprising since I loaned you the Chelsea Handler book. :)