Monday, July 19, 2010

Baghdad.

Foods class today was all about international cuisine. We each chose a country to research and then gave a presentation on their food culture and history. The day left me hungry, but also totally inspired. I love to travel. And I love to explore different foods. I don't know that we will be traveling internationally for a while, so I guess I will just have to be satisfied with trying to convince Drew to try Indian food with me. It's trickier than you'd think.

I did my research paper/presentation over Spain. I love Spain. It is really the only country whose food culture I've actually experienced. I've been to London, but only really remember eating at a Mexican restaurant. I've been to Portugal, but spent the majority of my time there on a booze cruise... not exactly your traditional Portuguese cultural experience.

So I chose Spain, because it gave me a chance to share my experiences and talk about myself. And we all know how much I love to talk about myself. The real challenge was how to work the puppies into the presentation. I thought I was out of luck until I was putting together the Power Point and realized I didn't have a photo to go with my slide about the Spanish tradition of siesta. Puppy nap time? Problem solved:


Mya is surely going to be pissed when she finds out that Drew took her spot in class. She's the real fame whore of our house.

So, the whole experience got me thinking about the last time I had to give a presentation on an international country. Thinking back... way back... yep. It was in seventh grade. We were learning about Europe and each of us got to pick a country to research and present to the class. I chose Ireland, because I'm Irish. Super Irish (that's another story for another time).

Somehow my BFF Nicky was not in class that day to pick a country. So the next day, when the teacher told her to choose any country because they'd all been assigned so she'd just have to double up with someone, she obviously chose Ireland too. Duh. Half the work. Our teacher gave us a nice little lecture about how we needed to do our own research and he didn't want us to work together at all. Uh, yeah right Mr. Moore. Like you would even know.

We split the work up and each researched half of the material and then shared. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I didn't even question her when she told me the capital of Ireland is Baghdad. Sounds good to me. So I stood in front of the class and told them all about Ireland... and its capital of Baghdad. And my teacher didn't say a word. The next day, Nicky stood up and gave her presentation on Ireland... and its capital of Baghdad. Busted. Mr. Moore totally called us out in front of the entire class for cheating.

And that was the last time I ever cheated off of Nicky.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

That is hilarious, Baghdad, Ireland.

Jessi said...

1. I felt that the Booze Cruise was a multicultural event. You know it was.

2. London's Mexican food was an oasis for me among lentil soup and lentil soup. Best. Mexican. Food. Ever.

3. You are the most super Irish person I know.

Delaney Mae said...

honey, I will FLY up there to eat Indian food with you. It's one of our faves! Come to Nashville and we'll treat ourselves to Bombay Palace, YUM.