Friday, May 21, 2010

Lost Shoe

I lost a shoe. This is not funny. I lost a running shoe.

I know I'm kind of a mess, but let me tell you. The one and only area of my life that I am fully organized and capable is my shoes. I keep every single pair of shoes that I own in their original box, stacked in my closet, picture facing out, according to style and frequency of wear. The ones that don't come in a box: AKA flip flops, shoes from Old Navy, are placed in a shoe organizer that hangs neatly in my closet.

I always have three categories of running shoes. They are:
  1. Long Run Shoes: These are my newest, nicest shoes. They are reserved for only long runs, on nice days when they won't get muddy.
  2. Short Run Shoes: These are previous long run shoes that have transitioned to being used for all shorter runs, going to the gym, and all my Jillian Michaels DVDs.
  3. Dog Walking Shoes: The short run shoes go here when they get too worn out to actually support my feet during running and look too gross to wear to the gym. I wear these when I'm walking dogs or working in the yard (that doesn't happen).

I keep my running shoes in their original box under the guest room bed, right next to where I keep my running clothes so that I have easy access. There is no where else that they should be! When I come home from running, I take off the shoes and leave them out to dry. When they have dried sufficiently so I don't think I run the risk of athlete's foot, I put them back in their box and under the bed.

There is absolutely no room for losing a shoe in this routine. But low and behold, when I went to return my short run shoe to its box yesterday, there was only one there. One shoe! WTF?? This throws off my whole routine!!! Now I have to choose between wearing my ugly, no support, dog-walking shoes out in public and risking injury... or worse... embarrassment and shame at my loser-ish shoes. OR I could wear my long-run shoes and risk getting them dirty and worn out before their time and having to invest in new long run shoes before I'm ready... what is a girl to do?!?

I know this is the work of that brown dog. I'm sure he probably picked it up, chewed it up, and hid it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he'd also peed on it. Well Mr. Dog, no running for you until my shoe is recovered.

4 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

This was hilarious. And made you sound kind of anal retentive. Seriously. Also funny because you called him, "that brown dog". :)

Brooke said...

Definitely had to be the brown dog, although maybe he dared the white dog to do it :) That really sucks! Is it the pretty purple ones?

Jamie said...

I am definitely not anal retentive, ocd, or even organized in any part of my life except my shoes... and about having the bed made in the morning.

UPDATE: I found the shoe in the bottom of the dirty laundry which proves it was the brown dog, because he is the one who is in charge of the laundry.

Sam said...

I love you...seriously