Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Namaste

Recently I read an article in Runner's World that was all about meditative running. Ever since I read Eat Pray Love I've been interested in the concept of meditating. I mean, who doesn't need some peace in their lives, right? But who has time for that??

My only experience with Yoga was a six week beginner course at the YMCA one summer (Hi Cait! Your downward dog looks awesome!) and the sporadic times I'll decide to do one of the yoga sessions on Fit TV On Demand that usually end with "Namaste. And don't forget to drink your Poweraid Zero." So I don't have a lot of experience in the art of meditation.

I decided to give it a try this morning. I set out for my run without my Garmin or Ipod. Just me and the road... and my brand new running tank. The idea is to focus on only your breath and footstep. If your thoughts wonder, you simply bring them back to your breath. I was good for about the first 30 seconds. Then I decided I needed a word to meditate on and keep me focused. I tried desperately to remember some of the meditation words from Eat Pray Love but failed. I ended up deciding just to focus on breathing "in" and "out". Here's what it looked like:

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

I want your love and I want your revenge you and me could have a bad... FOCUS!!!

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

When I grow up, I want to be famous I want to be a star I want to be in movies.

FOCUS!!!

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

I wonder when Dunkin Donuts is going to open. What will I eat for breakfast today? What snacks will I take on my road trip this afternoon? I wish I had a snack right now.

FOCUS Jamie!!!

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. Yawn.

What?!? Who yawns while running? Who yawns while meditating? What is wrong with you???

FOCUS!!

In. Out. In. Out.

I should write a post about this.

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

What will the title be? Shalom? No, that's Jewish. What's the word they say in Yoga??? Nama...nema... Namaste! That's it. I'll title my post that. I'm so funny and clever!

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

Womanizer womanizer oh your a womanizer you you you are you you you are.

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

My new running tank is so cute! It sure is baggy at the bottom. What's up with that?? Oh, right, focus.

In. Out. In. Out. In.

Holy balls! Did I buy a maternity top???

In. Out. In.

F. I totally bought a maternity top. Damn you Nike Outlet!!!

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

And that's about how the whole run went. There is a slight possibility that some of us do not have the depth required to be in tune with ourselves and be present in the moment. I will raise my hand and say I am one of them!

Also. Yes, the top is maternity.

Namaste, bitches.

3 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Awesome post! Love that one of the songs you sang to yourself was Britney. And clearly, I want to see a photo of this maternity top. Did you see the one's on skinny runner the other day? they were cute, I was thinking of getting one. :)

Caitlin Hanneman said...

Yay!!! Is that a shout-out to me? I am famous!! If its not, just pretend like it is so I don't feel stupid :)

Kaitlin said...

i just finished reading eat, pray, love last night. i also went to yoga today. i know what you are thinking, who am i and what have i done with your taco bell eating friend?

well, how about if i tell you i finished reading the book while sitting at chipotle and i did yoga after school with a bunch of teachers using the smart board at school. not much namaste happening there.