Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Soup and Such

I know, right? I haven't posted in like a week. Let's get you up to speed.

Meatless Monday! This week we had Potato Soup. Yummy!


This is the only picture you get this week... no smiling pics of Drew taking a delicious bite. I wasn't really in the picture taking mood last night. I was more in the mood like when you slave away peeling potatos and chopping veggies to prepare a warm and hearty soup timed to be piping hot and ready to eat right as husband arrives home from work and he walks in the door and says he's skipping dinner for the gym tonight and he'll "just heat it up later" then he slams a protein shake and is out the door and you are left to eat your sad little soup alone so you decide to shun him for the rest of the evening and he doesn't even notice but really he's thinking to himself that its nice not to have the wifey chattering non-stop in his ear and trying to take pictures while he eats his re-heated soup and he'd better take advantage by acting like he doesn't realize he's getting the silent treatment.

Yeah, I was in that kind of a mood. So no pictures for you!

But wait, you thought the camera was broken, right? But that potato soup doesn't look like a super gourmet picture found on Google Images, does it? That's right. The camera is up and running thanks to my very industrious husband who took a hammer to it and fixed her right up... or something like that. Here's a picture of the handsome fellow right after he told me he'd fixed the camera and I was just so pleased with him, more so than after the soup incident:


The blinds behind him... not so pleased with them.

So, if you are looking for a delicious dinner, minus the meat, try my potato soup:

Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb. potatos, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cans chicken or vegetable broth (don't use the reduced sodium kind unless you like bland soup)
Milk or cream
Parsley

Heat a bit of oil in a big pot and cook carrots, celery, and onion until soft; about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir; about 30 seconds. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add potatos and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until potatos are tender. Add enough milk or cream to acheive desired creaminess and gently heat through. Garnish with parsley; I just stir in some dried parsley, but I bet it would taste good with fresh. You can also add about a cup of frozen corn (thawed) to make this a corn chowder. Yum!

Now, since the blog has been picture-less for some time now, let me share some with you:

This weekend was my dad's retirement/60th birthday party, which resulted in lots of McNieces in the same room! Check out this fabulous family:


I know everyone was SUPER sad not to see Halloween pictures of Jack. Now that the camera has been fixed I can reveal to you: Sheriff Jack:


Howdy partner. Yes, those are cow-print chaps.

Before the camera died I had great plans for a post in which I shared pictures of ridiculous decorations. People have really gotten out of control with the Halloween decorating and I took some pretty good pics. This one takes the cake though:

Yes, those are skulls lined up in front of the Virgin Mary. Bonus points if you can name which relative's house this is.

On another Halloween note, please be warned that it is unsafe to dress your dog up as an item of food, especially if your other dog is unusually hungry and easily confused:


In other news (pictureless news):

*It's NEW MOON week! If you love teenage lit like I do and also enjoyed my review of Such a Pretty Fat then go immediately to Jennsylvania for the best thing to happen to Twilight since that werewolf got hot. Go! Go now!

*There is a chipmunk living in my garage. We named him Chip (original I know) and today he dive-bombed Ari from the garage ceiling. We aren't big fans of Chip.

*My phone is broken. If you call me and I answer you can hear me, but I can't hear you. So if you call, I'll probably forget its broken, pick up and yammer at you for a bit, not hearing a word you say... kind of like what Drew goes through only in person. I thought I'd just text until I get a new phone, but Drew says I'm over my texting limit for this month. So, stop stalking me! I'm off limits for now.

And, that is the end of this ridiculously long post. I won't wait a whole week to post again... I know it is hard not knowing what I'm up to every single second of every single day, right?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You know, if you didn't post today, I was going to email you and tell you to get with it. I was missing my daily dose of Jamie. I am glad I didn't have to do so. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen that Virgin Mary before...Just wait, next weekend there will be 12 singing geese, amongst other things, adorning their yard.

Trophy Wife said...

I laughed from start to finish. The soup incident was priceless, the cow chaps were great, and the dog dressed as a hotdog being eaten by another dog? tooo, tooo much! Love it.

Glad to see you are back. I was missing my daily does of Jamie as well. And I can't text or call you cause we aren't "real" friends. :) ha!

Delaney Mae said...

Three things:

1. I love the Swanson's Organic Vegetable Broth, it comes in a box. I use it in any recipe that calls for ANY kind of broth and I swear it makes everything better.

2. You know I totally know that blessed Virgin Mary.

3. I had already seen that Jennsylvania post and it is. Hi. Larious.