
Dang, who needs a camera? I'll just snag pics from other blogs and claim them as my own. Genius!
I think people get a little bit freaked out by tofu, because its tofu. But I swear, it is super easy and really yummy. Come on, you know Drew wouldn't eat it if it wasn't good! You just have to know how to prepare and cook it. Here's what you do:
Drain it: Set the block of extra firm tofu in a strainer, cover with a paper towel, and set something heavy on top. I use a heavy bowl or small pot. This will press all of the excess water out.
Cube it: Slice it, dice it, shred it... probably don't shred it.
Marinate it: Tofu doesn't taste like anything, so it will take on whatever flavor you pair it with. You can use any kind of marinade you'd use with chicken, beef, or fish. Since we're doing stir fry tonight, I'll use soy sauce, garlic, and a little bit of honey. Yum.
Bake It: Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until crispy, turning occassionally.
OR
Stir Fry It: Cook in a pan over medium-high heat in a little bit of oil until brown on all sides. I usually use olive oil, but will use sesame oil tonight since it goes with our Asian theme.
OR
Microwave It: No, this sounds like a bad idea. Stick with baking or pan frying.
Enjoy!
You can mix tofu into stir fry, casseroles, toss on a salad... there lots of yummy ways to enjoy it! There's something called silken tofu that I've heard you can put in smoothies. Sounds fun. And oh my goodness, if you go to Blue Koi, PLEASE order the spicy black bean & tofu dish. The tofu is breaded and fried and is amazing. I'm serious, you'll never be able to order anything else from there again because it will never compare.
6 comments:
I had tofu a lot while I was in Vietnam. Prior to going there, I had tofobia. But Vietnam cured me. We had it a lot in stir-fry....pure goodness.
I've only used tofu in curry before, so I wasn't certain how to cook it for other dishes. Thank you for a very clear and basic how-to!
Mmmm... tofu curry would be delish!
I've wanted to try cooking with tofu. You are probably better at it. Maybe you should invite me over...
Jess, you missed tofu week. You can come over next week for lentils... your fave!
It really was. I had all sorts of people making faces at me, insisting they were going to pick it out of the food (awesome when dinner guests act like 5-year-olds)... but when it came time to eat, they ate every bite and asked for seconds. :-)
Post a Comment