Friday, August 30, 2013

Port Fonda

I have been wanting to try Port Fonda for the longest time.  I'm pretty sure Lauren instagrammed a pic from there many many months ago and I was like, "What is that I want it now!!!!"  And then proceeded to wait months to try it out.

Finally I scheduled Port Fonda as our August G-Phi Wednesday Night Dinner.  Port Fonda is located in Westport and is just as funky as you'd expect a Mexican restaurant in Westport to be.  It had a very alternative vibe.

The first thing I noted, the chips and salsa cost $5.00.  I understand that at higher-end (is that the word I'm looking for?) Mexican restaurants you are not going to receive unlimited refills of free chips and salsa.  But if I'm paying $5.00 for it, they better be good.

I am not kidding you when I say these were the best chips I've ever eaten.  I could have just had the chips and been raving about this place.  They were amazing; thick and crunchy.  Oh so good. 

The salsa was good too.  There were two kinds, both very mild.  I wasn't raving about it so much, but that could have been because of my obsession with the chips.

Oh so good!
Listen, I have a Spanish minor* so I usually feel pretty comfortable with a Mexican menu.  This one was incomprehensible.  We had to ask lots of questions and in the end I still wasn't totally sure what I was ordering. 

I ended up getting something with lots of cheese, lots of mushrooms, and lots of chipotles.  It was heaven.  Tortillas were served on the side to gather up this delicious mixture.  I made the mistake of just spooning lots of it in my first tortilla, along with whole chipotles.  My mouth was on fire.

Delicious pot of spicy goodness.
After that I tried to avoid the chipotles, but the damage was done.  I was chugging water like crazy, but didn't want to stop eating because it really was so good.

To help quench my thirst I ordered some kind of spicy red beer.  Spicy wasn't the best option when my mouth was literally scorching, but the drink was also amazing!  And so pretty!

Delicious glass of salty/spicy deliciousness.
I think everyone agreed that Port Fonda is a must-try!  It definitely isn't your typical Mexican joint!

On Wednesdays we wear pink... and eat at Port Fonda.
If you are looking for a new restaurant to spice up your dinner adventures, check out Port Fonda!  But please beware of the chipotles!
 
*Lies.

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

They really were the best chips ever, and I consider myself a chip connoisseur.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain said...

WHOO-HOO!!! So glad you liked Port Fonda!

Jessi said...

**minor in Tinto de Verano