Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What I Wore In Europe

Before our trip to Europe, I did a bit of shopping.  However, I think I was a bit delusional about what our trip was going to entail.  I didn't think about weather or the activities we'd be doing.  I was shopping like we were going to Hawaii and bought lots of colorful sundresses.  Not exactly Euro-chic.
 
After checking the weather and doing a bit of research I realized I was planning all wrong.  I think I over thought it a bit because I started planning for weather extremes and taking it too seriously when I read something about Europeans wearing mostly neutral colors.  I ended up packing almost nothing but neutrals.  Oops. 
 
Anyway, here's what I wore.
 
1.  Travel Clothes & London Site Seeing


Grey T-Shirt Dress, Leggings, Boots, and greasy plane-hair
I hadn't planned on wearing this outfit except for the plane ride, but since we couldn't get into our hotel until much later, that's what I ended up wearing all day.  It was a bit warm, so my jean jacket is strewn over my purse.  You will be seeing a lot of that jean jacket.

2.  London Site-Seeing & Bus Tour


Striped Shirt, Black Jeans, Chucks.
Those Chucks are like the only colorful thing I brought!  Not pictured is my jean jacket. :)


3.  Tour of London/Market Fun

Black Skirt, Grey Tee, and Sperrys.
The weather would change so much throughout the day that I literally wore that stinkin' jean jacket everywhere.  It would get hot and I'd take it off.  It would get cold and I'd put it on.  All day, every day.

4.  Travel Day to Switzerland.

Grey T-shirt Dress, again.
Don't be grossed out, but I re-wore a lot in Europe.  In fact, I wore the exact same thing on the way to Switzerland as I did on the way to London.  When we got to Switzerland it was HOT and I stripped off my boots and leggings as soon as we got to our B&B.

5.  Sky Diving

Super Hot Jump Suit.
The only day I wore anything colorful, and it was provided by the company. :)

6.  Jamie's Swiss Uniform

Black half-zip, North Face Pants, Mizunos.
I seriously wore this almost every second we were in Switzerland.  My friend Julie had been to Switzerland the summer before and lent me the pants for hiking.  I wore them a lot. 
 
This also gave my jean jacket a much-needed break.  I Febreezed the heck out of it and let it air out on the balcony for 3 days.
 
7.  Travel to Paris
 
Black Dress, Leggings, Scarf, Boots.
I spiced up the travel outfit by swapping the grey t-shirt dress for a black dress and adding a scarf.  I know, I'm crazy like that.  We were able to check into our hotel after arriving to Paris, but I decided to stick with this outfit.  I'm pretty sure Drew is holding my jean jacket.
 
8.  Day Trip to Normandy
 
Striped top, jeans, Chucks, and grey blazer.
This is just another variation of outfit #2.  Although, all of these outfits are pretty much just variations of each other.  To spare the good people of France the site of a Canadian Tuxedo, I opted for a grey jacket today instead of the jean jacket.  Are you sick of seeing black, white, and grey? 

9.  Rainy Day in Paris
Striped Dress, JJ, Sperrys.
This was the dumbest outfit choice ever.  I love this dress, but it rained almost all day and I was flopping around in my dress and Sperrys.  And the jean jacket, of course.  I put my hair up in a sock bun but the rain did a number on that too.  It half-way fell in the back and I'm sure I looked like an idiot until I finally pulled the whole thing out and just wore a ponytail.  

10.  Last Day in Paris

Black Polka Dot Top, Black Jeans, Sperrys, JJ
Another all-neutral outfit!  You can't see my shoes, but I'm wearing Sperrys.  By the end of the second day in a row of walking around in them all day my feet were killing me!  They are comfy enough, but they rubbed my toes and the backs of my heels.  So I switched into flip flops before we headed out for dinner. 
 
I know, right?  You can't wear flip flops in Paris!
 
Other than the utter lack of color in my wardrobe, I was actually pretty pleased with what I packed.  I felt like I had comfy clothes to wear for site-seeing that also carried into the evening.  It would have been fun to dress up and go out at night, but that would have required a bit too much effort.  And we didn't actually go anywhere a night that required more.
 
If I could do anything differently, I would have packed WAY less shoes!  I was so concerned with all the walking we were going to do that I definitely over packed in that area.  I brought 5 pairs (boots, Chucks, Sperrys, running shoes, flip flops) and could have probably done with just 2 or 3.  I guess it's better to be over-prepared than under, right?
 
I'd also add some damn color.  I sort of make Europe seem depressing!

2 comments:

Jody said...

I love all your Europe posts! You were way more fashionable than I was on our Europe trip, I'm impressed!

Krista said...

You crack me up! Those chucks are so fun. Looks like you guys had a great time in Europe!