There are so many reasons to love summer, but one of the best is all the fresh seasonal LOCAL produce available! We are so blessed to have an amazing Farmer's Market close to home and open twice a week this time of year. The OP Farmer's Market can't be beat.
Sometimes the market can be overwhelming and confusing though. One of my absolute favorite blogs 100 Days of Real Food shared a list of tips for maneuvering the market. I'm sharing these, but seriously, check out her blog if you are at all interested in healthy, real food. It is such an amazing resource that I use personally but also for teaching.
Anywho, here's the list of pointers.
1. Find and shop at a grower's only farmers' market.
{The OP market isn't grower's only, but is clearly labeled as to which produce is grown and which comes from a warehouse}.
2. Ask if the market manager sends out an email or newsletter.
{You can follow OP Farmer's Market on Facebook for all the info you need!}
3. Arrive as close to the opening time as possible.
{So important!!! The market is a madhouse later in the morning!}
4. Deals can also be found at the end of the market.
{Not sure about this one... never tried it!}
5. Map out which farmers are certified organic or are not necessarily certified but follow organic practices.
{Getting certified organic is pricey but lots of farmers still use organic practices without necessarily being certified}
6. If you have kids, let them tag along.
{The market is a great way to introduce kids to where their food comes from!}
7. If you are looking for something specific, ask questions.
{There is so much available at the market, sometimes its a good idea to stop at the information booth if you are looking for something specific or out of the ordinary}.
8. Don't be fooled by the baked goods.
{Ummm... I definitely don't follow this one. There are SO many delicious looking treats at the market, I usually pick up something tasty and call it breakfast}.
9. Bring cash and reusable shopping bags.
{At the OP Market you can use your credit card to get "coins" which are accepted by the vendors. So nice since I never have cash on me! BUT, don't forget your reusable bag. Plastic bags are for losers.}
10. Enjoy the sense of community.
{I love love love feeling like a part of the community. Buying produce at the market feels and tastes so much better than buying it at the grocery store.}
If I were going to add a rule of my own, it would be to do a walk-through before buying anything. I hate when I buy something, a tomato for example, and then walk two booths down to find even prettier tomatoes. I have to see what's available to avoid buyer's remorse.
If you haven't been to the market this summer, get over there! And check out 100 Days of Real Food, because I swear it is super awesome and you will love it!
2 comments:
I have several issues. First, I WANT to frequent the Farmer's Market but there is something about getting up early on Saturday that makes me stick to Whole Foods Market. Second, I was going to suggest that we meet up there this Saturday but then I saw tip #3 and well...please refer to item #1. Are you seriously there at 6:30am? Can't you just do it for me and I'll pretend to be a good person?
We're going to need to discuss this 100 days of real food blogger the next time we get together. I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY!
Post a Comment