Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tavern

I was super upset a couple of years ago when our beloved Village Jose Pepper's was replaced by Tavern in the Village.  It really put a damper on my Cheese Crisp Salad habit.

And in those couple of years, we've never actually made it to Tavern.  We've tried a couple of times but were met with a long wait.  It's a pretty popular place.  We finally made the trip for this month's Supper Club excursion.

Our meal started with the Brie plate.  It was amazing.  I can't believe cheese can make me so happy, but it does.  So happy.

Brie.
The menu isn't huge, but has lots of different options from soups, salads, and sandwiches, plus interesting entree choices.  Drew went with the Cuban Sandwich.  He ordered it without pickles, which is just ludicrous.  The guy has no respect for tradition.

86 the pickles.
I ordered a grilled veggie salad.  When it came out, I thought it looked pretty sad.  I guess I just expect a lot from a $13 salad.  But it was amazing.  I don't know what kind of voodoo magic they did on those veggies, but it was one of the best salads I've ever had.

Doesn't look like much.  Tastes great.
I also really enjoyed their wine selection.  The atmosphere was great too.  I think Tavern would be a fun place for happy hour or just to meet for drinks.  It's a bit pricey, but the food was definitely delicious.

Keeping it classy.
This was a bit of a cheat on the whole supper club premise of trying new restaurants.  My dad was in town a couple of weeks before and wanted to go somewhere for dinner where he could get a glass of wine* so I took him to Tavern.  I liked it so much I made Drew come back with me.  When there with my dad, we ordered dessert.  If you go for no other reason, go for the brownie tower with peanut butter caramel sauce.  OMG.

OMG.
 
 
Tavern recently opened a second location in Mission Farms.  So if you don't want to make the trek to the village (what is wrong with you???) you could hit them up a bit further south.  We probably won't be regulars at Tavern like we are at BRGR, but it's nice to have another option in the village.
 
*He gave up beer for Lent.  We're good Catholics.

3 comments:

Katy said...

I would like to propose a brownie tower happy hour. We can get booze too, but what I really want is that brownie. (I hope you're eating sweets again???)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try Tavern at Mission Farms. Per your rec, now I will.

Jamie said...

Katy, yes we can go for brownies, but it has to be after my race. Be patient.

D, if only I could get enough people to leave the same comment so restaurants would start giving me free dinner. Enjoy!